I was working on a project in my VB.NET Express and suddenly my code that was working fine and starting up as normal gave me this error:

{"An error occurred creating the form. See Exception.InnerException for details. The error is: Format of the initialization string does not conform to specification starting at index 33."}

When I'm trying to run my application, it doesn't open my main form.

What does this mean - and how do I fix this?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

What are you doing in the form_Load event or constructor?

I had put a StatusStrip on the bottom of my form, and I was trying to get it to show the filename of the Access mdb file that the application is using. I even removed the Form_Load event, but it did not work.

That's usually an error you get with malformed connection strings for ado.net. You mentioned access, are you trying to connect to the database at all? If you are, what does the connection string look like?

Here's the connection string

Dim DBSPATH As String = "C:\Documents and Settings\rgibson.FOODGROUP\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\AR Van Router\" 

Dim Testing_ODBC_ConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & DBSPATH & ";User ID =Admin;Password=;"

I originally had the connection strings as constants, but my boss wanted a way that he could browse to another database with the same structure in another location, so I added the path to the DBSPATH variable.

The data source part of the connection string refers to an mdb file, not a folder path. I think it should be like this.

Dim DBSPATH As String = "C:\Documents and Settings\rgibson.FOODGROUP\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\AR Van Router\myDatabase.mdb" 

Dim Testing_ODBC_ConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & DBSPATH & ";User ID =Admin;Password=;"

The error said index 33, and that's right where the data source part of the connection string starts.

Thanks Hanrick! I didn't even realize that I'd forgotten to add the name of my database!

An error occurred creating the form. See Exception.InnerException for details. The error is: Format of the initialization string does not conform to specification starting at index 0.

"An error occurred creating the form. See Exception.InnerException for details. The error is: Could not find any resources appropriate for the specified culture or the neutral culture. Make sure "MCO.frmLogin.resources" was correctly embedded or linked into assembly "MCO" at compile time, or that all the satellite assemblies required are loadable and fully signed."

this error comes when i run my application, and i have refered images in form design that is added in resx file

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.