Does anyone know of a way to invoke the DOS "ROUTE" command(s). I have written a .bat program that adds routes, but I want to take a particular interface from my ROUTE PRINT output and then ROUTE ADD the routes to that interface. Since that interface is dynamic due to VPN issues, it would be great if I could write a little program that would first determine the interface ID (such as 0x2000005) and then create the routes via ROUTE ADD. TIA.

-jcs

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I think I'm missing something... Where is your question? hehe

It's been brought to my attention that my quetion isn't very clear, which I have to agree with. Here's my question:
In Vis.Basic, how can I determine the active interfaces on my computer? I can do this with the DOS command, "ROUTE PRINT" but I would like to be able to do something like the following psuedo-code:

DIM WAN, TEMP AS STRING
DIM IPADDRESS, GATEWAY AS STRING

IPADDRESS = "1.2.3.4" 'YES I KNOW THIS IS A BOGUS IP ADDY
GATEWAY = "5.6.7.8" ''YES I KNOW THIS IS A BOGUS IP ADDY TOO

TEMP = ROUTE PRINT | FIND "WAN"
WAN = MID (TEMP,2,7)
ROUTE ADD IPADDRESS GATEWAY METRIC 2 IF (THIS IS INTERFACE, NOT "IF" STATEMENT) WAN

What I don't know how to do is determine the active interfaces, routes, etc. from visual basic. I can do it from DOS, but I want to do it from VB. I am sure that there's some API or DLL that I should be using, but I can't seem to figure it out. So, how do I call the DOS command, "ROUTE" from visual basic?

Shell("C:\Path\to\app.exe")

@echo off
@(color 6A) & (@Title %title%)
@echo please wait...

::# Define a temp variable 'DefaultGateway'
@For /f "tokens=3" %%* in (
'route.exe print ^|findstr "\<0.0.0.0\>"'
) Do @Set "DefaultGateway=%%*"

::# Redirect output to a textfile
route add 184.67.89.90 mask 255.255.255.255 %DefaultGateway% -p 

copy this code to notepad and save as route.bat

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.