How do I install visual Studio 6 in Windows 7
Visual Basic Not completed the installation at the access to the installation of Microsoft Vrtual Machine ( VM )
What is the way ? What i do ? Because, I need to use the Visual Basic Now. :'(

Recommended Answers

All 45 Replies

How do I install visual Studio 6 in Windows 7
Visual Basic Not completed the installation at the access to the installation of Microsoft Vrtual Machine ( VM )
What is the way ? What i do ? Because, I need to use the Visual Basic Now. :'(

If you can use vmware + XPs - it is the least painful way. I have been using few 3rd party components for vb6 and had to spend more than two days until was all problems with UAC, registry, licensing etc. solved.

I agree. I'm much more a fan of "VirtualBox", but certainly running a VM and installing XP on it... then putting VS6 on the XP in the VM is the best solution to this so far.

You cant.

(( Comatose )) what is VirtualBox ?

virtualisation software like vmware or virtual pc

Yeah, basically you install VirtualBox. Once you install Virtualbox, you install a different Operating system into the virtualbox. The virtualbox basically tricks the operating system into thinking it's on a full machine (the virtualbox has a bios, etc). So basically, you install VirtualBox, then you install XP in a virtualbox window (so you have a windows 7 window... inside that window is XP). Then you can run "incompatible" programs in XP in the window.

i dont think its possible

VB6 didnt run on vista very well
And its unsupported by microsoft

I meant:
http://www.virtualbox.org/

And truth be told, without a virtual PC it very likely isn't going to happen. One thing to remember about Microsoft, is that they want you to upgrade to their latest trash, even if it is by force.... so assimilate to .NET or perish :icon_evil:

yup

I had issues with vb6 on vista so i just run it in an Virtual PC under NT4. Runs very well and it uses minimal amounts of memory.

Thanks everyone.
(( Comatose )) Your words are true.
I'm going to try virtualbox.
but Does it work in wondiws 7 32-bit or only 86bit

Honestly, I've never tried it on Win7, but it works on Vista... and 7 really is just vista with it's service packs ;)

I have installed it in the Windows 7. VM for Java too installed without an error. I then tried to compile and run a couple of sample projects of MFC appwiz, VB and Win32 App and it worked good.

But then i had this problem. When i try to create a function using the class wizard the IDE freezes with cpu shooting to 50% in a dual core and stay @ the same usage.

Visual studio6 however is supported on Windows 7.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Visual-Basic-6-0-on-Windows-7-but-Not-on-Windows-8-105474.shtml

tips on installing..

i read in some forums that a default install of this aged app will not install/work properly. try customized install with only the VC++, VB selected. i also remeber reading that the compatible issue is with OLEViewer or something like that.

okay.. now i sorted out the freezing problem. Updated the Visual STudio 6 with service pack 6. But now when i try to use the MFC ClassWizard dialog box's Edit code I get the following error
"ClassWizard cannot rename the file c:\\users\<name>\AppData\Local\Tmp\mfcxxxx.tmp to d:\<project folder>\file.h"

i tried to disable the UAC settings of Windows 7 but in vain.

I have installed it in the Windows 7. VM for Java too installed without an error. I then tried to compile and run a couple of sample projects of MFC appwiz, VB and Win32 App and it worked good.

But then i had this problem. When i try to create a function using the class wizard the IDE freezes with cpu shooting to 50% in a dual core and stay @ the same usage.

Visual studio6 however is supported on Windows 7.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Visual-Basic-6-0-on-Windows-7-but-Not-on-Windows-8-105474.shtml

UAC needs to be ON and you need to be running Visual Studio as an admin

being an admin user is NOT the same as running it as an admin. Youve got to right click the visual studio icon and choose run as admin

commented: thanks... +1

like i guessed Windows 7 imposes some restrictions on the folders which reside in the os partition. so to fix this i changed the path variable from c:\user\appdata\loal\tmp to d:\tmp

now everything works just fine.. :)

to change the path variable
Control Panel->All Control Panel items->System Properties->Advanced tab->Environment Variables button->Edit PATH var in the variables for username section.

okay.. now i sorted out the freezing problem. Updated the Visual STudio 6 with service pack 6. But now when i try to use the MFC ClassWizard dialog box's Edit code I get the following error
"ClassWizard cannot rename the file c:\\users\<name>\AppData\Local\Tmp\mfcxxxx.tmp to d:\<project folder>\file.h"

i tried to disable the UAC settings of Windows 7 but in vain.

its odd that occurs. With UAC enabled there should be a thing called File, Folder and Registry Path Redirection enabled (the handy little thing which when a program asks for documents and settings, redirects them to /users etc....)

But im glad you got it sorted though.

its odd that occurs. With UAC enabled there should be a thing called File, Folder and Registry Path Redirection enabled (the handy little thing which when a program asks for documents and settings, redirects them to /users etc....)

But im glad you got it sorted though.

redirection dialog box appears when a file protected by UAC is being edited manually. this is not the same with the files created by the IDE . which means the application must be given certain rights which in this case even though running the IDE with admin rights does not sort out the problem. since this app is an older than UAC arrived.. it simply does not recognise the UAC and cannot handle the situation. thats why the error "cannot rename the file".

i remeber being redirected to user dir by the notepad application when i try to edit files in the System drive.

Just installed VB6 on Windows 7 and not in VM and everything works fine. I had a few OCX problems at first but after registering them manually no more errors and it runs my old programs. As long as you install as the administrator user and right lick run as administrator to install it should install just fine. If you have installed with out doing that just log in as the administrator user and register manually the dll or ocx in CMD that where causing the problems.

It took a little time for it to do it's thing, but after I changed the compatibility mode on ACMBoot.exe and Setup.exe to Windows XP service pack 2, it installed just fine, Right click on the two exe's and go to properties, select the compatibility mode tab at the top, then check the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:", then select windows XP service pack 2 from the drop down box below it. run Setup.exe, it should install

If you have the HD space a dual boot XP/W7 configuration will give you the best of both worlds.

Rather than download the sizable installer to create a virtual "fake" XP within Windows 7 (W7) I configured a dual boot XP/W7 system and run all my "old stuff" including Visual Studio 6 on the XP side.

Visual Studio 6 is the most useful of the Microsoft Visual Studio suites to date seeing that most people are running legacy operating systems (XP & earlier.....Vista like ME before it was a total flop) .....no need for the user to install separate ".NET framework" runtimes to run your programs.

I'm really liking W7 so far........it seems to be a more efficient manager of memory & multi processor/core systems than XP was.

I'm running W7 Professional in my dual core (Intel) notebook & W7 Ultimate in my desktop which has two physical dual core (Intel) processors.

If you're running a post 2007 Toshiba laptop like I am you can download a software installer from the Toshiba website that will install suitable W7 device drivers.

I have installed vb6 WITH sp6 onto virtual XP and it worked fine. I agree with most that you have to "trick" 7 into thinking that you are running XP, it will respond to your application, only with SP6. Some API's still bombs, look at the install you had to go through with Vista, this will solve all your problems. Now what happened to that link again???? Search google and find vista/vb6...

I have an MSDN Pro subscription for VS2008. As part of that I am able to download VB6 enterprise from MS (not Visual Studio - just VB6) as an .iso.
After an initial compatibility warning the MSDN VB6 installs cleanly with no problems on Windows 7 (Ultimate x64). Does not try to install the Ms JVM and goes entirely without a hitch. The MSDN library for Oct 2001 (also from MS as MSDN subscription) installs as part of the process. (Did not install SS or Ent features as prev version was Pro).
Must run VB6.exe as administrator (add property to shortcut) to avoid registry accessing error on loading existing projects.
VS6 appears to have many setup issues which appear not to exist in the MS VB6 Ent .iso. Maybe a friendly MS person might provide a copy for Win 7 in lieu of a problematic VS6.

One major problem is structural. MDAC has changed and VB6 wants it like it used to be. They claim that happened in XP SP2. There is no hope for installing it native on Win7 (Vista in new clothes).

One major problem is structural. MDAC has changed and VB6 wants it like it used to be. They claim that happened in XP SP2. There is no hope for installing it native on Win7 (Vista in new clothes).

My VB6 install and projects reference only MDAC 3.6 which I believe is supported on Win7 and Vista. (Have istalled VS6 SP6) Found the following on Microsoft discussion forums under "Dao350.dll unsupported under Windows 7" in General Discussion at the following link which goes into significant detail -
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion&tid=62475689-dd83-4485-8802-9876224b0071&cat=&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=&p=1
I am supporting some legacy sites currently running XP workstations but which may over time replace their existing PC's with Win7 PC's. If there is going to be an issue it would be nice to resolve it now rather than when it hits the fan.

Member Avatar for dwirch

It's pretty straightforward to get it on 7:

As found at: http://www.fortypoundhead.com/showcontent.asp?ArtID=20502

1.Turn off UAC.
2.Insert Visual Studio 6 CD.
3.Exit from the Autorun setup.
4.Browse to the root folder of the VS6 CD.
5.Right-click SETUP.EXE, select Run As Administrator.
6.On this and other Program Compatibility Assistant warnings, click Run Program.
7.Click Next.
8.Click "I accept agreement", then Next.
9.Enter name and company information, click Next.
10.Select Custom Setup, click Next.
11.Click Continue, then Ok.
12.Setup will "think to itself" for about 2 minutes. Processing can be verified by starting Task Manager, and checking the CPU usage of ACMSETUP.EXE.
13.On the options list, select the following:
◦Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0
◦ActiveX
◦Data Access
◦Graphics
All other options should be unchecked. Click Continue, setup will continue.
14.Finally, a successful completion dialog will appear, at which click Ok. At this point, Visual Basic 6 is installed.
15.If you do not have the MSDN CD, clear the checkbox on the next dialog, and click next. You'll be warned of the lack of MSDN, but just click Yes to accept.
16.Click Next to skip the installation of Installshield. This is a really old version you don't want anyway.
17.Click Next again to skip the installation of BackOffice, VSS, and SNA Server. Not needed!
18.On the next dialog, clear the checkbox for "Register Now", and click Finish.
The wizard will exit, and you're done. You can find VB6 under Start, All Programs, Microsoft Visual Studio 6.

I've not tested this on Vista, but it should work for you there as well. Give it a try, and let me know how it works!

I just installed Visual Studio 6 on my Windows 7 x64, ran it, loaded a basic program, and voila, not a problem. So eat that Mr.It'snotpossible! Just use compatibility mode.

I made sure and set each and every setup file on the disc for Windows XP SP3 compatibility, making sure to add "run as administrator" to each as well.

At first it might seem a bit problematic when installing, but just keep trying and adding any setup files you missed to compatibility mode.

Voila!:cool:
http://img200.yfrog.com/i/vb60onwindows7x64.jpg/

Just noticed somebody else got it working too..........your method sounds a bit complex and verbose though, I already have UAC turned off, because it sucks, but other than that, my method worked for me, and was a lot easier. I also was able to have all options checked and installed, didn't have to have them unchecked. From then on out, the install proceeded as any normal install would and should. I didn't install MSDN though, as I don't need it.

If anyone else finds that my method works as well, share the info! It's easy.

~Dalfurion~

"Quit your job and whistle a lot"

Windows 7 x64
K9A2VM MSi MoBo (MS-7501) Phenom II x4 940 3.0Ghz
2 2GB sticks DDR2 SDRam ATi Radeon HD 4850
ST31000528AS ATA 7200rpm 1TB Drive
generic 500W psu, can't remember name, don't wanna look, so byte me

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.