Hi guys!

I'm currently building an online inventory system using mysql and vb6. I'm quite confuse on what method to use to finish this. The application will have a server that records on items and then gives it to its branches for sales. I would like it to record all the items being sold and update the server which is a city away.

These are my options:
1. Have the client system generate a text file or excel file to be emailed to the server location to update its records(which would give an extra work to the one who uses the server)

2. Use the public ip of the server as means of connection for updating(which i consider is not a secured option)

3. Use VPN(which would not be cost friendly for the client)

4. Have an online database/domain that will hold the transactions from the clients for daily updates on the server

would it be done using vb6 and mysql? Anyone who could give me a better idea on what to use and how to achieve this?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hi Burdigol,

I am currently building the sales system using microsoft access and vb6. And I want to put it in the server too.
How did you solve your problem?
Has it been solved?

I am trying to update the specific table in that access .mdb. Yet, I still have no clue how to do it.

If I can put them in the server, it's definitely better.
Please share me your clues if you have any.

Thanks.

Eko

Thanks

Hi guys!

I'm currently building an online inventory system using mysql and vb6. I'm quite confuse on what method to use to finish this. The application will have a server that records on items and then gives it to its branches for sales. I would like it to record all the items being sold and update the server which is a city away.

These are my options:
1. Have the client system generate a text file or excel file to be emailed to the server location to update its records(which would give an extra work to the one who uses the server)

2. Use the public ip of the server as means of connection for updating(which i consider is not a secured option)

3. Use VPN(which would not be cost friendly for the client)

4. Have an online database/domain that will hold the transactions from the clients for daily updates on the server

would it be done using vb6 and mysql? Anyone who could give me a better idea on what to use and how to achieve this?

a Server is the way to go. Your database will be "housed" on the server. Your application can either be run from the server OR any other individual pc on the network. With proper programming and design styles it need not be unsecure. Any data entry will be saved "recorded" on the server, which means anyone with access to the server via your application can save new items, view current items, sell items etc. Google for more information, you will be surprised as to what is available on the net...

a Server is the way to go. Your database will be "housed" on the server. Your application can either be run from the server OR any other individual pc on the network. With proper programming and design styles it need not be unsecure. Any data entry will be saved "recorded" on the server, which means anyone with access to the server via your application can save new items, view current items, sell items etc. Google for more information, you will be surprised as to what is available on the net...

Thanks for replying mate :)
Everything is unsecured at the moment.
Have you done it before in vb6? or maybe different language?
If you have,please give me your idea?
I suspect that I need to rewrite it in .asp.. but, my application has more than 20k lines of code.. it will take a long time to do it.
I can handle it in .php, but... it needs rewriting again....

I have done quite a few apps that is server based. You do not really need ASP etc. If you have something already written in VB6, you are basically done! The trick is to let your app connect to your database on another pc (server) on the network. By using ms Access, it is quite easy. It starts getting involved when you run sql server, MySql etc. There are much more settings and connections involved that with access.
I must add though that access is ONLY GOOD for a few (up to 5) users. After that, chances are good/gaurenteed that you will lose data. Hence MySql or sql server. The security in the las mentioned 2 is also hundred fold better than access.
I suppose it boils down to what your app needs to do and how it is supposed to do it. Below a quick connection string using ADO to connect to a database saved on another pc in your network. The second attachment will cover sql server connections. This will help you on your way to server applications. -

Set cnConn = New ADODB.Connection
cnConn.CursorLocation = adUseClient

cnConn.Open "provider = microsoft.jet.oledb.4.0;persist security info=false;data source \\192.168.0.20\MyDatbaseName.mdb" 'This will connect your app to database in your C:\drive if it is on system 192.168.0.20 on your network...

I have done quite a few apps that is server based. You do not really need ASP etc. If you have something already written in VB6, you are basically done! The trick is to let your app connect to your database on another pc (server) on the network. By using ms Access, it is quite easy. It starts getting involved when you run sql server, MySql etc. There are much more settings and connections involved that with access.
I must add though that access is ONLY GOOD for a few (up to 5) users. After that, chances are good/gaurenteed that you will lose data. Hence MySql or sql server. The security in the las mentioned 2 is also hundred fold better than access.
I suppose it boils down to what your app needs to do and how it is supposed to do it. Below a quick connection string using ADO to connect to a database saved on another pc in your network. The second attachment will cover sql server connections. This will help you on your way to server applications. -

Set cnConn = New ADODB.Connection
cnConn.CursorLocation = adUseClient

cnConn.Open "provider = microsoft.jet.oledb.4.0;persist security info=false;data source \\192.168.0.20\MyDatbaseName.mdb" 'This will connect your app to database in your C:\drive if it is on system 192.168.0.20 on your network...

thanks mate :) you are my hero
I will definitely try it tomorrow.
I has been quite late in my place (3 am), I should go to sleep.
Please tell me if you need any help, although I don't have many experience, I will try my best to help.

No problem buddy. Good luck in coding. I will always help where I can. It sounds like your'e from Aussie? Good night.

Please mark as solved if it helps you.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.