Hi
I used VB6 to create an EXE file that uses MSComm1.
The program runs OK in my XP computer and also in my Win7 computer (that has VBE installed).
It would not run on my Vista laptop. I installed the VB runtime files (even though Microsoft says they are not compatible with Vista/Win7) but with no success.
However, when I installed VBE on the laptop, it now runs the EXE quite happily.
Two questions please:
Does installing VBE also install a different set of runtime files?
Is it posible to distribute my program to my friends who have Vista or Win 7, without them having to first install VBE?
Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Vista is a very nasty control freak. It wants to handle every request it gets the way it thinks is right for the user. Hence the bad reps behind Vista.

When running your application, make sure that it is runned as the administrator. That should stop the errors from creeping in.:)

Thanks for the reply.
I tried running as the administrator but it does not work either.
I am sure it it something about the runtime files being wrong.
You would think that Microsoft would supply runtime files for Vista that allow VB6 exes to run - without having to install the entire VBE app.
Thanks anyway
Davy

No problem.

Does installing VBE also install a different set of runtime files?
Is it posible to distribute my program to my friends who have Vista or Win 7, without them having to first install VBE?

It all depends on the dependancy files required by your application AND the ports and data send/retrieval used by mscomm1.

If you had some code or error number for us where the comm control is used, it would have helped a lot to narrow your problem down. It seems that when you are compiling your application a required component or dll file is missing, hence the error. When you install vb on the app pc it installs the missing or required file, hence the sucesfull running of your application.:)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.