I have been given an assignment where a company requires an application that displays coffee usage information for the managers. I've been given sample data for last years monthly usage amounts in kilos which are: 400.5, 450, 475.5, 336.5, 457, 325, 220.5, 276, 300, 320.5, 400.5 and 415.

I need to create a form which will allow the user to enter and store monthly amounts in an appropriate data structure. The form also has to calculate the total usage for the 12 month period and average monthly usage. A further requirement is for the users to be able to display the monthly totals in ascending and descending order of the monthly usage amounts.

I am sort of a Visual Basic newbie and I would just like ideas on how I would meet these requirements. What to use to displays the results, etc.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Do you know anything about storing data in files and retrieving it?
...what about databases?

Either one would do well for your program.

Of course, if it does not need to store data for more than one "session", you could just store the data in arrays.

Do you know anything about storing data in files and retrieving it?
...what about databases?

Either one would do well for your program.

Of course, if it does not need to store data for more than one "session", you could just store the data in arrays.

No I don't know anything about storing data files and receiving them. I have heard classmates say they're using arrays but I don't know what they are!

...then it is time to study.
You will really need to know your storage options if you want to make data-centric applications. Study how arrays work firs, then more complex types.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.