Good Day

I have some questions to ask, I made a point of sale system using vb6 my question is,. is it ok to combine dao and ado?

Hoping for your quick replies thank you

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Question back at you: what exactly do you mean by "ok"? If you mean "Is it possible?" then yes, it is possible. You just have to be careful when you are declaring variables that you explicitly specify which library you want your object to refer to (think "Recordset" object...there's one for ADODB and one for DAO, and they are different).
Example:

Dim myDaoRs As DAO.Recordset
Dim myAdoRs As ADODB.Recordset

Also keep in mind that you have to check the appropriate boxes to include the libraries in the Project/References dialog for each of the typelibs.

Another question: why would you want or need to? Is there some kind of functionality that you need that is easier in one than in the other? Are you trying to update an aging app and don't want to hassle with rewriting a bunch of functions? If you are starting a brand-new program, I would recommend choosing one or the other and not mix-and-match. The coding style necessary to effectively use each is substantially different.

Hope this gives you what you were looking for. Good luck!

Thanks for explaining it to me..i usually used only one..it just came into my mind if how effective is it to combine those two lol..anyways i appreciate your response and thank you once again

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.