I am a summer intern who has been given a project in MS Access and has little knowledge of VBA - so I would be extremely grateful if you could help me.

I have a form called Customer Programs that saves the program description, brand and year. Each program is given a unique ID calle the Customer Program ID that the computer uses to later filter data. (in another form) The format of this id is "CP***", so they are "CP001", "CP002, "CP003" and so on. I need the computer to understand this format so that it continues when a new program is added.

If you know of a way that this is possible and could walk me through it I would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

hi everyone,
if you are using visual basic you can connect to the access database using access but it can be very tidysome but if you are using rapid then what you can do (if your database does not contain any pictures or images) is try not to use access but use rapid to generate a database and use rapistream it. You can then use rapid or vba to read the database.

I hope this helps you

Yours Sincerely

Richard West

I am a summer intern who has been given a project in MS Access and has little knowledge of VBA - so I would be extremely grateful if you could help me.

I have a form called Customer Programs that saves the program description, brand and year. Each program is given a unique ID calle the Customer Program ID that the computer uses to later filter data. (in another form) The format of this id is "CP***", so they are "CP001", "CP002, "CP003" and so on. I need the computer to understand this format so that it continues when a new program is added.

If you know of a way that this is possible and could walk me through it I would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

Hi Michelle,

First of all take a look at my pretty poor ado tutorial here: http://www.timesheetsmts.com/adotutorial.htm . Then perhaps have a go at getting something working and if you can't get it going post your code here and we'll try to help further.

Mark

PS did what the previous poster said make sense to anyone? :rolleyes:

I didnt understand the previous post but I figured it was just over my head....

I actually figured out the CP problem with a grueling process...but it works! (there HAS to be an easier way to do so though!) I do have another question while we're at it though, on the same form there are currently 5 records. I have it set so that it does not allow deletions, edits, or additions. (this is because I dont want to user to try to do so here) When the user selects the "Add New Program" button it changes the record source to a temp. table. The first few lines of the code is...

Private Sub saveprog_Click()
On Error GoTo Err_saveprog_Click

Form.AllowAdditions = True

Dim CPnum, CP, checkzeros As String

And even though the first thing I am telling it to do is to allow additions, it gets an error when you try to do so. Any ideaS?

I have a similar problem! Does anybody know the answer?

Cheers K

Hi Michelle and JackAssNo1,

First of all I want to thank you for not going the way of letting your users do everything in one form, it'a an approach that often leads to catastrophe.

Now for the problem. I don't know what the 'cure' is for your problem with Form.AllowAdditions = True since I have never used that technique through my years of programming Access. However, I might have a workaround for you.

What I would do is to create a specific form for adding records which contains all the necessary fields for the project. When the user clicks the "Add Program" button this form opens and lets the user enter the details. Once finished, the user would click a "Save" button which would save the new project, close the "Add" form AND update the list form.

This way you don't have to deal with one form doing everything and your users will not be confused trying to figure out whether they're in Add or Read Only mode.

Hope this helps

Yomet

Member Avatar for nicentral

It sounds like what you are trying to do is autoincrement your program id when a new program is created. Is this correct?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.