Yes MidiMagic, thats exactly how it is for me. Now no one can think im making it up :)

Another thing I'd change is automatic signing of rep. When I get rep, I want to know who it was from. Especially the last week or so...

Heh, that request was once made by me, but was rejected saying that it would just make people go out for vengeance when they get a bad rep and would hamper community building.

And considering that after being a member for so long, when you suddenly start asking for this feature, its a clear indication that someone doesn't whole heartedly agree with you in the Geek's Lounge. :P

commented: \\ -1

Another thing I'd change is automatic signing of rep. When I get rep, I want to know who it was from. Especially the last week or so...

Yeah, I just got a bad rep on a word game.. =/ it said "stop the stupid games." Made me kinda mad.

Heh, that request was once made by me, but was rejected saying that it would just make people go out for vengeance when they get a bad rep and would hamper community building.

And considering that after being a member for so long, when you suddenly start asking for this feature, its a clear indication that someone doesn't whole heartedly agree with you in the Geek's Lounge. :P

I totally understand that, and I even felt the same way a bit. I'm just getting a little irked that simply expressing my opinion is taking down my rep, and I'd like to just ask people why they're marking me down. I know I've made some bad posts, but I don't want to participate in a discussion if I know people are just going to give negative rep for my views and my [sometimes direct, sometimes oblique] way of expressing them.

commented: heres some good rep - jbennet +11
commented: Sympathy - from Hollystyles +5

Agreed with what Infarction said, for the most part.

While it won't limit me from participating in a discussion, it sure does take the importance away from the reputation system.

commented: * -1
commented: heres some good rep - jbennet +11

yeah..alot of times reputation system get used to show anonymously that:
"hi my view is better than yours"
(which for me is prolly true..:P..)
but on other sites ive seen good points get negative feedback all the time..the only way to get around it is to ask them a series of physcological questions on why they ar e negging :P...and thats a little bit unpractical...and is one of my stupid posts..:P...so yeah back to you...whoever..

commented: Please use proper punctuation and spelling. -1
commented: yay you actually tped properley that time :) - jbennet +11
commented: For your funky style - from Hollystyles +5

lol i gave you some good rep that time lemurexplosion. You actually managed to type fairly properly :)

commented: for being nice - from Hollystyles +5
commented: Oh, the irony of this all. -2

lol i gave you some good rep that time lemurexplosion. You actually managed to type fairly properly :)

Pot. Kettle. Black.

No way am I as bad as lemurexplosion. At least i try to spell correctlty and use good gramamar.

No way am I as bad as lemurexplosion. At least i try to spell correctlty and use good gramamar.

Your trouble is you have an itchy post button finger, it's not giving you time to be careful.

Lemurexplosion I think perhaps has too much sugar in his system, I can just see his vibrating finger hammering the full stop key, I bet it's worn and sits lower than all the other keys :)

Same. Im sort of hyperactive.

A new pyschological phenomenon? "SES", pronounced "seeze". Spastic Emoticon Syndrome. Characterized by the need to include emoticons in every post, sometimes at the end of every sentence. It's closely related to REKD (Restless Ellipsis Keyboard Disorder), where every time a poster pauses to consider a thought, he types an ellipsis. These spastic, "wrecked" posts are thought by some to be yet another manifestation of "hurry sickness", while many others feel it's just plain laziness.

Tgreer however, has humour so dry, it makes death valley at midday during a sun flare look positively drenched!

commented: Taken as a compliment! +7

Indeed. Are you all happy now? , I just went out and bought an infrared keyboard for my PDA so now I can type properly. Pain to use though, the keys are so small and I look like an idiot when I use it :)

Hey jbennet, I usually type my messages out clearly. You gonna hand me some rep for that too? </sarcasm>

I mean, holy crap, is that what the rep system is for? No wonder it's so broken.

I totally understand that, and I even felt the same way a bit. I'm just getting a little irked that simply expressing my opinion is taking down my rep, and I'd like to just ask people why they're marking me down. I know I've made some bad posts, but I don't want to participate in a discussion if I know people are just going to give negative rep for my views and my [sometimes direct, sometimes oblique] way of expressing them.

The same has been happening with me lately. BTW, just got a neg rep for my previous post. For this reason even I have controlled my posting in the Geek's Lounge. Its not because I care about rep, its just that I don't feel like posting. It would be really nice if someone could open a poll thread for this rep origin thing.

Hehehe ;)

The reputation system is a standard part of vBulletin. Most experienced technical forum groupies simply ignore it. However, jbennet has revealed the only valid use I've ever noticed: if someone actually CARES about Rep, then the Rep system can be used to motivate them. I've griped and kidded and publicly chastised him about his execrable typing, and he only changed after getting "8 bad reps".

Another poster highlighted something interesting, too. It appears the older, more experienced members ignore reputation, but younger members view it as important. That’s interesting – I’ve always ignored the rep system, but it could be a useful tool for training certain members how to post acceptably. Kind of a reverse MySpace: post properly, or I won't be your friend.

Yeah, I find it [rep] to be very important. It gives you something to aim for.

lol...yes ..actually i am hyperactive..:/...and in reality i talk faster than i think ( not very good cus then things come out very...odd shall i say) lol yess i do use emotes alot..and notice how so far i havnt used any (lets see how long i can keep that up..)

but yeah actually im surprised that that button isnt worn out yet for being used so much over the past 3 yrs...hmm...and now my ssiter says this isnt a very qucik reply (as in its long..:/.)...gaa i caved already......wow i didnt mean to do that o.0...gaa did it again!!...ahem yes quite..
but yes i usually am hitting the keyboard madly fast ..(which is why some people at school stare at my tpying...(not thats it accurate but usuually fast (not accurate) ..and i use....5 fingers total...*counts them*...yeah..all together..) so yeah.....i lost my point in all of this ...but im gonna go eat something laced in calories and infinite energy now...:D...

commented: WTF -1

ps....i dont seem to care much for that ..o.0..(but thats because ive got no idea how it relates to stuff ..in general.(stuff being..well dont know..thus..' stuff' (ooh brackets in brackets ) ...so yeah..) quite..).
end...

Speaking of reputation, now that I've started looking at it, I find this little gem in response to asking jbennet to type better: "Quit the faggish whinning, no one is gonna change for you. "

I admit I had to look up the word "faggish" as it isn't English... slang for "homosexual" didn't come to mind immediately. In any case, I'd like to thank the Shakespeare who left me that little morsel. It helped me solidify my opinion of forum reputation systems: pointless, ignore them completely.

Positive Reputation is nice, as it gives you an index in your Control Panel of posts people especially liked. It gives you a guide of the type of post you should strive to make in the future.

Negative Reputation appears to be a way for juvenile, immature members without the courage or wit to address someone in public to scrawl anonymous graffiti.

The thing with reputation is that you could use it if you want, but you don't have to use it if you don't want to. There is no functionality lost because you choose not to give others rep, and you won't get banned because your rep is too low or be promoted to a moderator because you have excellent rep.

We have it because it's a default vBulletin forum feature, and many people enjoy it and find it useful here and on other forums. If you don't fall into that category, you can safely ignore it. Otherwise, you can make of it what you want and factor it into your own personal equation of how you rate the accuracy and helpfulness of community members.

commented: Exactly!! -tgreer +6

Negative Reputation appears to be a way for juvenile, immature members without the courage or wit to address someone in public to scrawl anonymous graffiti.

This is definitely my experience.

lol i find it amusing that your signature is opposite of ~s.o.s~ oh yeah not on topic....erm..eh..yeah...rep :)..*dashes away*

Gah!, I make an attempt at typing nicely and someone gives me bad rep claiming "oh, the irony". :(

Gah!, I make an attempt at typing nicely and someone gives me bad rep claiming "oh, the irony".

Several reasons why I gave you negative reputation on this post:

• The previous post wasn't even close to "typed fairly properly".
  • It was a lame reason to give reputation.
  • Your post wasn't even perfect (in terms of punctuation).

Your post that followed was just as bad, "At least i try to spell correctlty and use good gramamar." I'm guessing that you were being sarcastic with those intentional errors (which is bad enough).

Don't take this as a personal attack, and I was by no means a part of the many negative reps you say you've been receiving recently. I'd take it as a wake-up call if I were you, however.

People take reputation way too personally. Guys, reputation is an arbitrary measure of a random anonymous person's own opinion about something you posted.

so who says punctution is everything?....and captialization ..?and the entire basic english language struture...ok maybe thats one a little far off...
but still..
as long as people get the jist (in referin to jebennts'post(s) ) i think its fine...unlike me, however,.. my points are alway lost in the flash flood of dots and/or drought of common sense....the latter is just a persoanlity trait..:P (oooh weather metaphors...wait..are those metaphors...o.0..cant remember..>.<.)

commented: again, we can't read anything in this post. fix it or leave, please. -1
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.