That conclusion is premature. Dani has posted her thinking in the private forum for mods, sponsors, and colleagues. It's being discussed, and no decision has yet been made. You're jumping to conclusions. I have every confidence that Dani and Davey, our administrators, will consider this thread and the Area 51 thread carefully before making a final decision.

ah, well.. who's representing our side in area 51? I wish I had access...

lol.. If you think any college student or soon-to-be college student has any extra money, then you must be on drugs =p

You can "represent your side" here, if you feel any further elaboration of your viewpoint is required.

Well, I can just see how area 51 is now.. All the mods and colleagues in there telling Dani to delete the games, give them superior power, etc.. lol. Perhaps there should be a neutral person, like me, in there making sure that every side is fairly represented =)

Right now the discussion is revolving around the possibility of creating a subforum in the Geek's Lounge for games.

Yeah, that's exactly how it works. We all order Dani around, and she always does just what we demand. So, you're "neutral", huh?

yep, I am neutral.

And would making a subforum for games be difficult? It would certainly weed out most of the games and activities from the Geek's lounge.. but what exactly do yal hope to accomplish by creating a separate forum? Just to move all the pointless games away from the geek's lounge?

Please re-read the thread - everyone has already fully explained their reasons and hopes on this topic.

no- everyone wants something different. It seems that some people want to get rid of the games completely in hopes that the people who only come to daniweb for the games will leave. Others don't like all the posts and traffic that the games cause. And still others want the games moved from the geek's lounge so there would be more intellectual discussions and such..

tgreer,

I don't understand your interest in how daniweb is structured. I had assumed you must be fairly active in the IT forums, but checking your post history, it appears to be 95%+ posting in the feedback forum for several months now.

I went back to Nov 2006 to find your last post in an IT forum (c++ I think it was). I might have missed one or two, but really, your main activity for several months is just posting in the feedback forum.

Am I missing something? You seem to have stoped being a contributing member a while back, at last as far as IT contributions is concerned. I see you have a "team colleague" designation, but I don't know what that signifies.

I am just curious is all, feel free to ignore my comments or tell me to mind my own business. Just seems odd to me that you seem to care that much when you're no longer really active in the IT aspect of daniweb.

Regards,
Kevin

Good, so it seems you've answered your own question quite nicely, though I'm sure some would dispute your conclusions. Amazing, what a little research can do!

a team colleague is a former moderator.. Hmm, it seems tgreer is a little bit hypocritical..

And tyrgeer, who exactly were you replying to?

tgreer,

I don't understand your interest in how daniweb is structured. I had assumed you must be fairly active in the IT forums, but checking your post history, it appears to be 95%+ posting in the feedback forum for several months now.

I went back to Nov 2006 to find your last post in an IT forum (c++ I think it was). I might have missed one or two, but really, your main activity for several months is just posting in the feedback forum.

Am I missing something? You seem to have stoped being a contributing member a while back, at last as far as IT contributions is concerned. I see you have a "team colleague" designation, but I don't know what that signifies.

I am just curious is all, feel free to ignore my comments or tell me to mind my own business. Just seems odd to me that you seem to care that much when you're no longer really active in the IT aspect of daniweb.

Regards,
Kevin

I was a very active member, particularly in the Web Development sections (though I'm primarily an application developer in the financial, banking, and printing niche industries). I was made a Moderator shortly after joining. I worked very hard to build those sections of Daniweb I was most interested in and had responsibility for (Dani even called me a "site hero" once, something I haven't forgotten).

I acted, and still act, as an informal tester and advisor for Dani (we conduct most of our conversations via IM). So I've left my mark invisibly on the format of the Web Development sections, the format of the blog pages, the way the infraction system works, how the staff handles profanity and off-topic posts, etc. (Of course, so have MANY others, and I'm not claiming any special influence here. I played a minor role on an ensemble team.)

The one thing Dani and I just couldn't see eye-to-eye on, despite VOLUMES of discussion on the issue, is the IntelliTXT advertising system. I simply cannot come to grips with how I perceive it to interfere with my posts (please, no one reply with any IntelliTXT-this or -that posts, the topic is dead). Because of this, I resigned as a moderator and no longer provide technical assistance: I won't act as an unwilling mouthpiece for advertising while trying to assist someone. The "Team Colleague" title is what Dani uses for former Moderators, in recognition of our past service.

So, why am I still here? A good question. Dani keeps me involved, for one thing, by asking me to look at various things she's doing or planning on the site. I have a "historical" interest - I can't resist comparing the way things "used to be" here with how I think things are now. I have pride in a community I helped build, so even if I'm not actively involved, I still want Daniweb to do well in the future. I've become friends with several of the other moderators, and so like to see what they're saying about the site.

In terms of my public presence on the site, then, I restrict myself primarily to the Feedback Forum these days. Sometimes I vent, sometimes I try to act as a catalyst, or I'm responding publicly to an issue raised privately, and sometimes I'm just being a pain in the ass.

a team colleague is a former moderator.. Hmm, it seems tgreer is a little bit hypocritical..

And tyrgeer, who exactly were you replying to?

I can make no sense out of this post. Please rephrase your question/comment and I'll do my best to reply.

FWIW, and although it may often not seem that way, we appreciate your feedback. Of course, we often do not agree with it, but debate is always healthy.

As for the games situation, this will be resolved very shortly now as Dani and I have pretty much come to an agreement based upon all the discussion here and in other forums, as well as privately between the two of us.

Good, so it seems you've answered your own question quite nicely, though I'm sure some would dispute your conclusions. Amazing, what a little research can do!

I think any conclusion I might try and surmise would be incomplete at best. I get the feeling there has been a lot of water under the bridge that I am totally unaware of. I will leave it at that, like I said I was really just curious. I'm not questioning your interest in this website, which seems to be very genuine to me.

I just found you to be a little bit of an enigma is all. But that is explained by my own ignorance about most of what goes on around here. Since I prefer it that way, I probably should not be asking you for any insight anyway.

Anyways, take care, maybe catch you around in the feedback forum from time to time.

Kevin

The post you quoted was directed at joshSCH, not you. Sorry for the confusion. I'm an enigma, huh? I like that - I think I'll change my user title. My public "rants" are the tip of an enigmatic private iceberg. Swap posts #42 and #43 and it'll make more sense.

tgreer,

You last post explains alot (http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/post358440-45.html).

I've been in a similar situation in the past and can appreciate your continued interest in somthing you were active in helping to shape and direct. Sometimes those parting of ways are bitter-sweet.

Since you did not have to explain yourself one iota to me, I appreciate that you did. It gives me insight I did not have before.

Regards,
Kevin

a little bit of an enigma..... don't let it go to your head ;)

EDIT: that wink smiley looks bad, I am of course just kidding with you

Right now the discussion is revolving around the possibility of creating a subforum in the Geek's Lounge for games.

I think that would be just fine.
Does everyone else agree on this too?

Yes i suppose it does.....

Im trying not to say too much as i dont wanna make her more angry than she might already be....

commented: Bad punctuation and spelling. -1

I think that would be just fine.
Does everyone else agree on this too?

I don't see a problem with it at all...

I think a new forum would be good. Would it be also not a good idea to make it so that games were not displayed on the front page or in the todays posts as it kinda makes the site loook untidy

lol.. If you think any college student or soon-to-be college student has any extra money, then you must be on drugs =p

I scrounged some up, jbennet's saved up for it; you can too if you try hard enough.

Well, I can just see how area 51 is now.. All the mods and colleagues in there telling Dani to delete the games, give them superior power, etc.. lol. Perhaps there should be a neutral person, like me, in there making sure that every side is fairly represented =)

I assure you we're not all begging for mod powers etc... but don't you think that those who donate money or extensive time to the site should get a little something in return?

[edit:] on topic: I approve the new subforum (even though disapproving wouldn't change it now :P)

haha, I like how you just throw something in at the end thats on topic..

I wasn't begging for mod powers..? Is it only mods who are allowed in area 51? I just wanted to join the discussion..

haha, I like how you just throw something in at the end thats on topic..

I wasn't begging for mod powers..? Is it only mods who are allowed in area 51? I just wanted to join the discussion..

Area 51 is for mods, admins, sponsors, etc.... The moderators then have their own forum.

oic.. so you can view the threads?

That's one of the perks, yes.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.