I have the dxsetu.exe trojan/virus that is doing the rounds. I keep getting it back too.

I also can't find the c:\windows\dxsetu.exe or the other files that relate to this problem. I got the trojan from Football Manager 2005 no cd crack.exe I got an immediate message from norton internet security saying ope6.exe was a security risk, so I bloked the access. I found the files and deleted them, and since then I've had this dxsetu.exe problem.

Also getting a load of $$$$$$.bat files all over the place that start and stop various services.

heres my hijackthis doings......
Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 22:07:05, on 11/11/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\NORTON~3\GHOSTS~2.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\NORTON~1\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\NOPDB.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Trust\305KS\Mouse\mouse32a.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\ATITool\ATITool.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Trust\305KS\Keyboard\KbdAp32A.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Justin\Desktop\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

F2 - REG:system.ini: Shell=Explorer.exe winsock.scr
O2 - BHO: CNisExtBho Class - {9ECB9560-04F9-4bbc-943D-298DDF1699E1} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O2 - BHO: CNavExtBho Class - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Web assistant - {0B53EAC3-8D69-4b9e-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [FLMK08KB] C:\Program Files\Trust\305KS\Keyboard\MMKEYBD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [FLMBROWSEMOUSE] C:\Program Files\Trust\305KS\Mouse\mouse32a.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATITool] "C:\Program Files\ATITool\ATITool.exe" -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [mount.exe] C:\Program Files\GiPo@Utilities\GiPo@FileUtilities\mount.exe /z
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{74B36C08-19E2-47CA-8A0E-ACB4CDB37A98}: NameServer = 192.168.1.254

Tried deleting various files but they keep coming back ????
Help please.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I also had this problem, but Dav555 very kindly provided this fix:

Make sure you turn off system restore first, Go into control panel, system, system restore tab and check\uncheck the system restore box.

you should fixed the following problems with HijackThis
F0 - system.ini: Shell=Explorer.exe winsock.scr
F2 - REG:system.ini: Shell=Explorer.exe winsock.scr
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dxset.exe] C:\WINDOWS\dxsetu.exe

then delete the following files with GiPo@FileUtilities (Move on boot)
(Remember to go into explorer, folder options, view and uncheck "hide protected operating system files" otherwise you'll spend forever and a day looking for things that aren't showing themselves, like I did!!!!!)

c:\windows\system32\winsock.dll
c:\windows\winsock.scr
c:\windows\dxsetu.exe
c:\windows\system32\winlog.com
c:\windows\system32\dxwinex.exe

I think these locations are right, the above files are either in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32

Reboot, then do a full system scan with your anti-virus program, this will pick up all the affected files and should delete\quarantine them.

Nice one mate it was that Hide protected files bit that did me. I never knew about that !

Oh and did you say you got it trying to nocd football manager 2005 ? Have you tried the online play yet. It's very very good. Thanks again !

Yeah it got me too, and I'm supposed to me an IT techie!!!!!

Not yet, only just started playing it, any view on CM5 that's coming out??

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.