New to forum. I have several computers in my house online with my cable company as ISP, via a Belkin router. No problems getting online with any of the PC's, either hardwired or by wireless connection, except one PC which happens to be via an ethernet cable. Cannot get online at all either via internet explorer or by trying to log onto AOL--I am not sure if this is any internet explorer problem, since aol uses this as their browser, or something more intrinsic to the computer. I did a Norton virus scan, ad ware scan, checked my cable connections, ran a scan on the hard drive, checked the driver for the modem and all appears to be functioning but I cannot get online (needless to say, I am posting this from another PC). The only thing that seemed to work was running a system restore to a date about 10 days earlier; it got me back on line but a day or two later I was back into the same problem all over again. The unit in question is an HP pavilion a250y running Windows Xp. Anyone have any suggestions?

Recommended Answers

All 21 Replies

I think first thing you should do is to check the network connection of the PC to the router.

Do Start->run->enter 'cmd' and hit 'OK'. Now you have the command prompt.

Enter: ping 'ip-adress of your router' and hit 'Enter'.

If you don't know the IP of your router, check the manual. Normaly it's something like 192.168.0.1
You should get 4 answers to that ping-request.
If you do so, try to ping the internet:

In the command prompt, enter: ping www.google.com

You also should get 4 answers.
If you do, then your IE is probably blocked up with spyware (as a suggestion).

Michael

1. Also at the DOS prompt, type the following command to verify that your computer's IP address, the gateway IP, DNS server IP, etc. are configured correctly.

2. If you can ping the IP of the router, but cannot ping "www.google.com", try pinging Google by its IP address instead of its URL:

ping 66.102.7.147

3. What exactly does happen when you try to surf with your browser? Please give us more detail on that, including any error essages that you receive.

1. Also at the DOS prompt, type the following command to verify that your computer's IP address, the gateway IP, DNS server IP, etc. are configured correctly.

2. If you can ping the IP of the router, but cannot ping "www.google.com", try pinging Google by its IP address instead of its URL:

ping 66.102.7.147

3. What exactly does happen when you try to surf with your browser? Please give us more detail on that, including any error essages that you receive.

When I try to surf the browser I get the usual error message that the website (whatever one I am trying to access) cannot be accessed. When I attempt to sign on to AOL (broadband) I get a message that "your computer could not get an internet conection" then sub script "there may be a network problem." Incidentally, I tried to ping google as per the first response and I did get four answers. I tried running a spyware scan and found no files infected.

Sorry, newbie that I am I posted the last response wrong so here it is again:
When I try to surf the browser I get the usual error message that the website (whatever one I am trying to access) cannot be accessed. When I attempt to sign on to AOL (broadband) I get a message that "your computer could not get an internet conection" then sub script "there may be a network problem." Incidentally, I tried to ping google as per the first response and I did get four answers. I tried running a spyware scan and found no files infected.

Also When I pinged my ip address I got four "Request timed out" messages, 4 packets sent, 0 received, 100% lost.

Don't sweat the "newbie" thing; we''l get you sorted out.

Incidentally, I tried to ping google as per the first response and I did get four answers.

4 positive responses would be correct if your ping succeded. Was that when you pinged Google by using "www.google.com", or by pinging "66.102.7.147"?

When I pinged my ip address I got four "Request timed out" messages...

The IP address of your own computer's network card failed? Given that you said above that you could ping Google, that doesn't make sense.

- Is your router set up to provide your computers with their IP info automatically via DCHP, or do you maunually enter the IP address, subnet mask, gateway IP, etc. in each computer's network properties?

- On the problematic machine, please run the following command from a DOS prompt and post the information that the command returns:

ipconfig /all

- On the problematic machine, do the following ping command and tell us the result:

ping 127.0.0.1

- Just for reference, what exact model of belkin router are you using?

The ipconfig/all prompt got the following response:
Host Name: Your-o0kwkw9jwc
Primary DNS Suffix:
Node tyhpe: Hybrid
IP Routing Enables: No
WINS Proxy Enabled: No
DNS Suffix Search List: Belkin

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4:
Connectin-specific DNS Suffix: Belkin
Description: Realtek RTL 8139 family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
Ethernet NIC
\Physical Addreww: 00-0C-6E-AA-D4-9B
Dhcp Enabled:Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled: yes
IP Address: 192.168.2.67
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default: 192.168.2.1
DHCP Server: 192.168.2.1
DNS Servers: 192.168.2.1
Lease obtained: Tuesday, February 08, 2005,11:25:49 pm
Lease Expires: Monday January 8, 2038 10:14:07 pm

The ping 127.0.0.1 command got the following response:

Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes+32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping Statistics for 127.0.0.1:
Packets: Sent+4, Received+4, Lost+0 (0% Loss)
Approximate round trip times in milliseconds:
Minimum=0ms, Maximum 0ms, Average=0ms

The Router is a belkin 2.4 Ghz, B02.11b Wireless

Can you connect to anything else like a messenger program or online video game?

I have a weather bug program that seems to be updating the temperatures but I cannot access it for any other purposes (in fact at this moment it says in large letters at the bottom of the screen "to recieve live weather data, an active Internet connection is required.")

Re:another browser, funny you should mention that because last night I visited mozilla, downloaded firefox, and put it on a CD. It installed in the affected computer no problem and is now on the desk top, but then when I try to open it I get an error message "firefox.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close."

Re: spyware, I ran Norton 2004, Adaware, and Spyware protection from AOL. Would they possibly miss something that Spybot will potentially pick up?

ugh i have gotten that error with fire fox as well. just re install it. if it continues try netscape or maybe opera. there are a ton of browsers that work very well.

I have a weather bug program...

Um... the free versions of WeatherBug are adware. Depending on exactly which version you have, it may also have installed other programs of more-than-questionable reputation on your computer.

Arikay,

Could you answer a couple of my pervious questions in more detail please?:

1. Was that when you pinged Google by using "www.google.com", or by pinging "66.102.7.147"?

2. The IP address of your own computer's network card failed? Given that you said above that you could ping Google, that doesn't make sense.

I got four responses when I pinged google and when I pinged 66.102.7.147
When I pinged my IP address (192.168.2.67) I got 4 "request timed out" messages followed by a 100% loss message.
Basic question: what am I actually demonstrating by pinging this addresses? That the computer is communicating with them? If I pinged the IP address from another computer in my home (working through the same router) would the response I get be of any value?
Also, re: what you said about weather bug, I might be best advised to disable it, if not uninstall it altogether (it came as part of the "free" software already installed in the computer)

Arikay, you know how most people check a hijackthis logfile? They look for entries that are unknown to them, and then they use google. (This method is getting more and more difficult, since a lot of hijackthis logfiles are flooding the forums, producing irrelevant search hits) It's quite some work, especially with a mile-long log like this, but why don't you do that? You could learn a lot.

I see a lot of junk on your machine, different search bars etc. Your Anti-Adware Programm is no good, which one did you try? Use Spybot Search&Destroy for a start.

Then start to think about the way you surf the internet. Don't believe Billy Gates that IE is the best browser of all - there are others, with which you probably wouldn't have those problems.

And yes, get rid of that weatherbug-program.

Michael

Thank you Michael, I am in the process of doing those very things, e.g. I installed Spybot and found no less than 69 pieces of garbage that I promptly deleted, though I have still not solved the access problem, but by so doing who knows how many other problems I may be solving in the interim!

I'll gladly take any other suggestions.

Thanks

It's weird that you cannot ping your own IP. Is there a desktop firewall on your computer that denies echo requests?

You can ping the internet though, which means that you should try to reinstall Firefox. If you still get an error, try Mozilla. If that doesn't work either, then your PC is messed up.

BTW: you don't have any proxy settings in your internet options, do you? (Start->System Configuration->Internet Options->Connections->Settings). I hope these directions are ok since my OS is not in english.

Michael

Basic question: what am I actually demonstrating by pinging this addresses? That the computer is communicating with them?

At some level, yes- you are demonstating that the computer which you are pinging is at least alive and reachable. The PING command uses a (fairly low-level) network communication protocol called ICMP (Internet Control Message Protocol). When you send a ping command to a certain machine, the request sent is essentially a single packet containing the message: "Hello machine, are you there?". If the target computer is online (and ICMP requests are not blocked by a firewall), the target machine should respond with a single packet basically containing the response: "Yes, I'm here".

As you can gather from the above, a ping only verifies that the target computer is running; it says nothing about the functionality of higher-level protocols such as those used by web browser, email programs, etc. (HTTP, SMTP, etc.)

If I pinged the IP address from another computer in my home (working through the same router) would the response I get be of any value?

It very well might; please try that and let us know the results.

It's weird that you cannot ping your own IP...You can ping the internet though

Yes- weird indeed; not sure about that one...

Arikay,

Just FYI: we don't deal with HijackThis logs in any forum other than our Viruses, Spyware, and other Nasties forum; any/all HJT logs should be posted in that forum. However, this particular entry in your log is of concern:

O10 - Broken Internet access because of LSP provider 'connwsp.dll' missing

Although your log does not indicate as much activity by "malicious unwanted guests" as pcschrottie's response might lead you to believe (no offense meant there, pcschrottie), there are a few other things in your log which need to be fixed as well. In light of that, I'm going to split your above post containing your HJT log into its own thread in the proper forum. I will include a link back to this thread for reference.

The new thread concerning your HJT log is here:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/showthread.php?p=92077#post92077

Please post your responses concerning the log and any other questions that you might have about spyware in general in that thread.

Thanks.

Sorry about the misplaced hijack post.

Re: other items,

If I pinged the IP address from another computer in my home (working through the same router) would the response I get be of any value?

It very well might; please try that and let us know the results.

I got the same result, 100% lost, when I pinged the computer in question from another PC.

BTW: you don't have any proxy settings in your internet options, do you? (Start->System Configuration->Internet Options->Connections->Settings).

I do not think so but I will try as you suggest.

You can ping the internet though, which means that you should try to reinstall Firefox. If you still get an error, try Mozilla.

I will give this a try as well.

Is there a desktop firewall on your computer that denies echo requests?

There is a firewall. I do not know about denying echo request--let's just say I have not gotten any onscreen message saying access was denied when I tried the operation, but I will investigate this just the same--I assume it would, if present, be in my firewall settings.

There is a firewall...

Which brand(s) of firewall product(s)?

Before trying anything else, entirely disable any and all firewalling software; it may be actually be the root of your problems, and at the very least it will interfere with our troubleshooting procedures.

Which brand(s) of firewall product(s)?

Before trying anything else, entirely disable any and all firewalling software; it may be actually be the root of your problems, and at the very least it will interfere with our troubleshooting procedures.

Norton 2004, also whatever is provided with Windows XP and my Belkin Router
I'll disable Norton firewall for the purposes above.

Yes- disable Norton first; it would be the most likely suspect.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.