Well, as I'm sure you know already, phpBB is free and vBulletin has a pricetag of $160. vB has much cleaner code. It also has virtually no bugs, and when one does arise, it is fixed within the day. It comes with many more options configurable via the admin panel. In addition, their templating system is amazing - especially template conditionals. All I could really suggest is going to vBulletin.com and testing out the demo admin interface to see just how configurable it is.

I like both to tell ya the truth, however Dani is right, it IS much cleaner and more enhancments then phpBB. Again shes also right as well on teh Price tag. It is pretty expesive for a piece of software. IPB is clean too, but very similar to vB though.

I guess it all depends on what it's worth to you. I use phpbb Integramod which is a really great modded version of phpbb, but I presently am not able to afford V bulletin right now. Phpbb is still the forum that's free. But if you got the extra money and using a discussion forum like this is important to you, then by all means! Use the vBulletin.

Thanks, but I care about my sites and community and in order to make money, you haveto invest soemtimes. You dont always expect money and freeibes on everything looks good. But your right too. :)

I agree 100%. Sometimes you do have to invest. When you don't have any $$ to invest, like me, you go with the next best thing.

Hi

Just because you pay for something, does not mean it is better! Now I am not saying that to compare vB to phpBB, because the both are not very well coded. In regards to phpBB, it is a dangerous script. From version 1 to the yet to be released version 2.2, it still has many problems, worse than the simple one that was recently found and look what that did!

This has been discussed at many forums, by PHP Team Members and other highly trusted developers, if you search this question on Google, you will find out why it is not recommended to trust anything that got phpBB on it!

As for vB, the logic in parts is very good, but in some parts, it's like they for got how to code! Then most of the functions need to be updated, sure I understand they want to support many versions of PHP, but it would be better to have different versions of your script, each supporting a target language version! This would fix a few security concerns that I see! There other problems too! Over use of eval();, there are far better ways to handle templates than that!

Here is a quote the inventor of PHP!

Kepp the following Quote in mind:

If eval() is the answer, you're almost certainly asking the
wrong question. -- Rasmus Lerdorf, BDFL of PHP

There other things to, but that would take me forever to explain, and I don't want to go there just this very second...

J!

So demo, you're simply saying that PHP is the cause of all the trouble and so all forum software should be made in ASP or JSP? Or maybe go back to the good old days of Perl-based boards which used a flat text-file DB model?

P.S. I have updated to the latest phpBB and have no problems with it. Also I have a fairly good knowledge of PHP and have made some more security enhancements of my own within the code.

I'm pretty happy with my board which is phpbb except that nobody is visiting it.

I started out using phpBB, was my only choice really. I didnt have any money and I wanted something that looked ok. First glance all was well, installation was fairly simple and away I went. Then I looked further into the package and noticed a lack of a lot of features, moderators basically had no power over anything was the first mian problem I had. So I found hacks and spent hours adding them. I must have rebuilt the majority of the code in the end.

Basically I had to add so much that the code was nothing like the original version I had. Then along came that damn php worm and took out my forum. I did have a complete backup of the files (more by luck than being efficient). I basically decided that if I wanted to make the switch now would have been the best time, so I purchased vBulleting. It was over Christmas so was a quiet time and I could easily close the board.

Installation was much nicer than phpBB, I liked the steps it took me through and I always seemed to know what was going on. Once installed I looked in the admin panel and it was a little daunting at first, so I checked out all the online documentation. As soon as I knew what I was doing I was like a kid in a sweet shop. This package is so packed with features and tools. I checked the vBulleting forums and I was so impressed to see that if I had any problems with this forum all I had to do was ask a developer! These guys would help within minutes usually. This kind of support I had never had before.

I still miss a couple features that phpBB actually gave me though, but heres a thought. Instead of installing a hack now I can request its added to the next version of vBulletin. If it is classed as beneficial to the whole group it will be added. So instead of hacking a forum to bits, I can help improve a package with my ideas. Also the only "hack" I have had to add so far has been the arcade, so I am VERY happy with my purchase.

Where vBulletin seems to really excel over phpBB is upgrading. I was running phpBB with some mods to make it more like VB and upgrading was a nightmare. I had to reapply the mods everytime I wanted to upgrade. With vBulletin, you copy files and run upgrade.php and click next a bunch of times. Done! Great time saver.

Why is vBulletin so expensive? I am a poor guy in India and $160 is Rs. 6880 to me. That's more than what Win XP Home costs!

Do I really need to spend that much on a forum solution, especially when I do not expect anything in monetary returns from my forum and my website?

Yeah, it is too much, but then again the time they spent on it must of been time consuming. Who knows, search around, some places have vBulletin license for winning contests. I may even start a contest this summer and give away 5 free vBulletin licenses. Ummmmm, not sure so you'll have to give me some time to get them.

How do u instal the wizard one and is it good?

I've used both and have licenses for VBulletin and I tend to agree that PhpBB is poorly coded. VBulletin seems cleaner visually. Under the UI I still find poorly organized and certainly confusing code. As I understand it the new PAID releases code is obstruficated so editing it is almost nil.

Since PhpBB is free its no wonder why its dominant in its use. Not to mention it is supported just as good if not better in some regards to VBulletin. I personally use PhpBB because of the ease of integration with other PHPScripts. If you were to do a search in some of the popular script banks like hotscripts or php.resourceindex you would find more support for PhpBB then VBulletin.

For myself
I'd like to see any example of a PhpBB board that is huge. 75,000 plus posts huge.

Jared.

So demo, you're simply saying that PHP is the cause of all the trouble and so all forum software should be made in ASP or JSP? Or maybe go back to the good old days of Perl-based boards which used a flat text-file DB model?

P.S. I have updated to the latest phpBB and have no problems with it. Also I have a fairly good knowledge of PHP and have made some more security enhancements of my own within the code.

He must be high or drunk while posting that. Someone bott that kid.:evil:
I adore both scripts. You have to think for 1 second tho, every script known to mankind on the web has some type of hole in it. Theres not 1 script that is so perfect. I know because Ive scripted so many portals and mods its not funny from ASP to PHP. Your work that you do is never completed. You may think so, but thatswhy theres things called BETAS.
ERRHHHHH I love myself whoohooo!!!! I can go on all night if ya want.:o

Yeah, it is too much, but then again the time they spent on it must of been time consuming. Who knows, search around, some places have vBulletin license for winning contests. I may even start a contest this summer and give away 5 free vBulletin licenses. Ummmmm, not sure so you'll have to give me some time to get them.

You are correct, there are contets held for Re-selling Liscenes that you could win. Check out www.vbulletin.com and read up on some contests they hold there. Im sure there might be a few. Im not 100%, but I HAVE seen like 2 or 3 around on other vB sites.:cool:

How do u instal the wizard one and is it good?

Wizard? What the hay is that man?

I've used both and have licenses for VBulletin and I tend to agree that PhpBB is poorly coded. VBulletin seems cleaner visually. Under the UI I still find poorly organized and certainly confusing code. As I understand it the new PAID releases code is obstruficated so editing it is almost nil.

Since PhpBB is free its no wonder why its dominant in its use. Not to mention it is supported just as good if not better in some regards to VBulletin. I personally use PhpBB because of the ease of integration with other PHPScripts. If you were to do a search in some of the popular script banks like hotscripts or php.resourceindex you would find more support for PhpBB then VBulletin.

For myself
I'd like to see any example of a PhpBB board that is huge. 75,000 plus posts huge.

Jared.

:eek:

This will close this post #43. Click that link and you will see that phpBB is just as strong as vB. Check out this site. I CAN go on if ya want me too, there are tons more out there.
Not being funny or anything, I sitll love and would use vB myself. I also have and still havemy L's for it too.:cheesy:

More then a sec, Heres phpBB 2.2 so far.....

Young, your so cool bro!:cheesy:

I used IPB before, like every other forum, most use IPB or phpBB, I wanted to stand out from the crowd, I went VB, its faster, its different from the rest, if you have to pay, it shows you are serious and committed to make the site grow/work, its better software, well at least I think. Yes its expensive for a small site like me, but its worth it in the end, and I have already got new memebers that I didnt have when using IPB, and I think its down to being different from the majority of other motorsport forums.

Well what did you think of IPB?

Ok. Now that we have discussed vBulletin and phpBB admin panel...

Which one is easier to "extend"?

The problem with most discussion software (which I have tried) is they presume too much, and do not build solutions to add "external" pages that can take on the look & feel and the security. There are several portals that allow the complete merging of both phpBB and vBulletin.

I am not interested in such complex system. They tend to seriously impact the discussion system, and if there is any upgrade, the portal version of it is always lagging several months behind.

Which one would be easier to add non-forum pages with the same look & feel and security (i.e. login, profile, etc.)?

Usually, vbulletin makes for more of a 'community' forum experience. I've found phpbb to be a nice 'backend' forum.

I as well dissagree with you,basically because phpbb in my opinion has alot to offer should you persue it into a paid domain,I mean,basically the MODs,the admins priv to custom ranks,and all and all the part(disspite theres nothing to buy with it)where you can do a money/points system of sorts. Im not one to talk beings I dont know much on Vbulletin nor any other than just phpbb,ezboard and powerboard but I just thought to throw my two cents in...

For myself

Jared.

and no one provide gaiaonline since technically it isnt phpbb anymore...

I have a hair-brained Idea!:twisted:

All of us PHP/MySQL types should get together and create an alternative to PhpBB and VBulletin.

Ready when you are.
Jared

:mrgreen:

I prefer PhpBB I've got a free board hosted at http://www.forumer.com. It's hard to find an ad-free host these days. They also offer free blogs.

Actually my above post was just a joke. I love phpBB and I also have vBulliten. In fact I'm looking for a full license to purchase of vBulliten for a church client of mine. They can't afford the $185.00.

Jared.

I love PHPBB and satisfied with its existing features, i have customised it with unique design and installed some usefull hacks, there are lots of experts working on phpbb in creating hacks, skins and Mods... so many features available to enhance your phpbb forums, most of all everything is FREEE!

my webhost has it set up where I can install phpbb with a simple click of a button. I have not used it, as my forums are set up on Vb, but I am thinking of using it to start up a second forum. Not sure if I will do it or not, but if nothing else, it will allow me to have a solid opinion of the free software.

Truth is, I am sorely disappointed in both software packages. I have to preface this that I have not had the chance to use the vBulletin commercial support - so I will have to hold off on that side of things.

I guess I am going to rant so ...
[rant]
There would be a topic, say security, and posters would get stuck on a minutia of the whole conversation. They don't miss the forest from the trees, they miss the forest from a twig!

Try to explain something, bringing an example - you think the answer will relate to your question? No - they tear into the example how that wouldn't work... Who cares! The example was supposed to stress one point of the topic, not be a replacement! What is even worse the designated staff gets cought up in it too!

Then try to even suggest that support is not sufficient. I get slapped around because it's "free" and "you get what you paid for". Fine, let me pay for it. Then I get slapped around for that. :mad:

It is amazing how BBS has been around for so long, yet we still struggle with basic concepts in the design of the top players. For example MODs, hacks, add-ons , whatevers. Haven't the core programmers heard of APIs? Haven't they figured out version after version that a standardized interface to their software will a) increase the number of add-on packages, b) reduce the technical problems created by external products, c) help with upgrades therefore not loose "clients", d) compatibility issues are reduced both within the core and the add-ons?

Eh, I am all disgusted. :evil: Just don't talk to me till the morning. Oh, wait... It is 4am...
[/rant]

And people wonder why most computer geeks become the mass murderers...

I was going with phpbb because of the simple reason it is free and I was going to use 4 different copies, one for each of my ranking sites (www.hardwareranking.com is the only one 'live' right now) - and 4 copies of VB was prohibitively expenses.

Then I went to VB and looked at their admin demo and OMG - phpbb seemed like a rusty ol' toyota truck compared to a hummer - shiny and purdy and way more powerful.

So I decided to just combine all my forums from being site specific to one concentric web site at www.talkshack.com.

My ranking sites use a 100% custom script and I had an amazing VB coder create an auto post script which auto posts postings from Hardware Ranking and create a cross link between the two sites. WAY sweet - I was afraid I was going to have to do it manually but not anymore. :) Check out a sample: http://www.talkshack.com/showthread.php?t=8

Don't go with an owned copy if you cannot afford, it get a leased copy at $80 to start with.

--Tone

Come Monday, I'll be purchasing vB... I think it will be a smart purchase.. then at this point i would have put some money into this site.. forcing me to finish it..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.