Hey everyone. Ok, I just noticed that in my Add or Remove Programs window, theres a program called My Way Search Assistant........ obviously spyware or adware of some kind. I need to uninstall it but......... there is no button in the add or remove programs menu that allows me to uninstall it like a normal program........ wierd huh? (and yes my xp account is a computer administrator, not a limited account.) any ideas on how to remove this stupid thing? Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

Go to this thread:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread5690.html

1.) Download and install, Ad-Aware SE. In addition to the default settings, check these and make any necessary adjustments:

A.) Close ALL windows except Ad-Aware SE

B.) Click on the ‘world’ icon (at the top right of the Ad-Aware SE window) to let Ad-Aware SE update.

C.) Once the update is finished, click on the ‘Gear’ icon (second from the left at the top of the window) to access the Preferences/Settings window.

a.) In the ‘General’ window make sure the following are selected in green:
*Automatically save log-file
*Automatically quarantine objects prior to removal
*Safe Mode (always request confirmation)

b.) Under Definitions:
*Prompt to udate outdated definitions - set the number of days

B.) Click on the ‘Scanning’ button on the left and select in green:

a.) Under Driver, Folders & Files:
*Scan Within Archives

b.) Under Select drives & folders to scan:
*choose all hard drives

c.) Under Memory & Registry, all green:
*Scan Active Processes
*Scan Registry
*Deep Scan Registry
*Scan my IE favorites for banned URL’s
*Scan my Hosts file

C.) Click on the ‘Advanced’ button on the left and select in green:

a.) Under Shell Integration:
*Move deleted files to recycle bin

b.) Under Logfile Detail Level, all green:
*include addtional object information
*DESELECT - include negligible objects information
*include environment information

c.) Under Alternate Data Streams:
*Don't log streams smaller than 0 bytes
*Don't log ADS with the following names: CA_INOCULATEIT

D.) Click the ‘Tweak’ button and select in green:

a.) Under the ‘Scanning Engine’:
*Unload recognized processes during scanning
*Scan registry for all users instead of current user only

b.) Under the ‘Cleaning Engine’:
*Let Windows remove files in use at next reboot

c.) Under the Log Files:
*Include basic Ad-aware SE settings in logfile
*Include additional Ad-aware SE settings in logfile
*Please do not check or make green: Include Module list in logfile

E.) Click on ‘Proceed’ to save the settings.

F.) Click ‘Start’

*Choose:'Perform Full System Scan'
*DESELECT "Search for negligible risk entries", as negligible risk entries (MRU's) are not considered to be a threat.

G.) Click ‘Next’ and Ad-Aware SE will scan your hard drive(s) with the options you have selected and clean automatically.

H.) If Ad-Aware SE finds bad entries, you will receive a list of what it found in the window

I.) Save the log file when it asks and then click ‘Finish.’

J.) REBOOT to complete the removal of what Ad-Aware SE found.

2.) Download, install, and update Spybot S&D.

When you first run SpyBot, it will walk you through a Wizard which will perform a few critical functions (making a registry backup, getting the latest updates, etc.).

A.) Perform all of the Wizard's tasks.

B.) On the page that first opens when you start Spybot there is an option to immunize, you should do this.

C.) Scan with Spybot; after the scan is complete, have Spybot fix everything marked RED.

D.) In the immunize section there is also a link to download Spywareblaster. This program will prevent the installation of bad ActiveX controls in it's database. Download that, keep it updated, and have it enable all protection.

E.). Reboot.

Do the online antivirus scan.

Update your own antivirus program and run a full system scan with that as well.

3.) Reboot into Safe Mode.

4.) Open Windows Explorer, go to Tools, and in the Folder Options, select "Show hidden files and folders," and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files."

5.) For every User listed under C:\Documents and Settings, delete the entire contents of these folders (not the folders themselves):

Local Settings\Temp
Cookies
History
Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

Delete the entire contents of your C:\Windows\Temp folder.

Delete the entire contents of your C:\Temp folder (if you have one).

Do a search for *.tmp and delete all entries found.

6.) Empty your Recycle Bin.

7.) Reboot normally.

8.) Get Hijackthis from here:

http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis_sfx.exe

9.) Close all browser windows, scan with hijackthis, save the log, copy and paste the log here.

commented: Helped me SOOOOOO Much! +1

Oh gosh...... i feel really embarassed right now.......... Evidently my computer (Dell Dimension 3000) is SUPPOSED to have the My Way Search Assistant icon in the add remove programs file w/o a remove button because it is installed by dell. From what I understand, they install it as the default IE page on new computers now. :o

ya lol. wonder why they do. I really haven't experienced any problems with it. Like, I don't have an annoying "My Way Search Assistant" toolbars or pesky popups from them. I was just going through my add/remove programs and the name sounded like adaware or something. Thanks everone!!!

I just posted this to the Dell message boards...
I spent a few thousand dollars buying a new Dell system, and they appear to be trying to earn a few dollars more from the My Way web site ad revenue.

Every time I change my home page to what I want it to be, something changes it back.

Add/Remove Programs shows "My Way Search Assistant". There is no button to remove it, apparently because Dell doesn't want it removed.

Interestingly, the My Way terms include this statement: "The My Way Software and the Services are not intended for use by or availability to persons under the age of 13. IF YOU ARE UNDER 13 YEARS OF AGE, YOU MAY NOT DOWNLOAD, INSTALL OR USE ANY MY WAY SOFTWARE AND YOU MAY NOT ACCESS MY WAY SERVICES."

So Dell is shipping home/family computers that kids are not legally allowed to use? And a browser hijacker? With no way to uninstall it? Classy. I can see they don't want me to purchase from them again.

Tech support has not been helpful so far, sending me instructions on removing the My Way Speedbar, which is not what is installed, and trying to convince me that it's really not bad that they've shipped a browser hijacker.

I've looked at the Hijack This log but didn't see anything obvious. I tried disabling two Dell things with Spybot and restarting, but after restart they were enabled again so something is keeping me from disabling them.
and
I should note that HijackThis shows registry entries for
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL=http://www.dell4me.com/myway
(and similar for start page, etc)
However, I'm afraid if I remove them with HijackThis, I'll be removing things that should be there. Just changing them in regedit I suspect would not be useful, since some process has been changing the home page back.

Ok, it looks like Ad-Watch/Ad-Aware is restoring the My Way page, not Dell.

Weird, since it doesn't seem to have an option to control that, and is supposed to protect the user against other sites changing the home page rather than prevent the user from changing the home page.

http://www.pchell.com/support/mywebsearch.shtml

The above link has quite a rundown on MyWebSearch. Isn't this a totally different application/program than MyWay that the original post is addressing? I was at another couple of sites:

http://www.pcbanter.net/archive/index.php/t-780777Trying-to-remove-My-Way-Search-Assistant.html

http://forum.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=si_virus&message.id=40403

for example, and they both send the readers to MyWebSEarch...I don't understand why. Should MyWay be compared to MyWebSearch?

In case anyone else stumbles upon the My Way Search Assistant in Add/Remove Programs without an uninstall button, and finds this thread, here's some more info on removing...

The folder (on my pc at least) for Dell's My Way Search Assistant was:
C:\Program Files\MyWaySA

The *.msi associated with the program was:
C:\Windows\Installer\62e8.msi

By right-clicking the 62e8.msi and choosing "uninstall", you can remove the My Way Search Assistant. After a couple of hours of searching and spyware scanning with various programs, this has been the only step that successfully removed the software. Verify that C:\Windows\Installer\62e8.msi is the right file by right-clicking it, going to properties, and looking at the info on the "Summary" tab.

In answer to Deeja's question, yes the two softwares are different (Dell's My Way SA and the "3rd Party" My Way SA), but the Dell version still collects data about you (see Dell's Privacy Policy for more info). They claim the info is anonymous, however who likes the idea of anyone tracking their computer experience? It is sad when such a large corporation like Dell, who has their hands in millions of homes with various software/hardware solutions, would do something as shady as put a "search bar/spyware" equivalent preinstalled on their PCs forbidding even experienced users from removing it. Don't they know they're supposed to leave the "shady dealings" up to M$? :cheesy:

Hi and thanks for posting your info...perhaps it will save someone else some trouble. At this link you can read what I went through to rid my computer of the search assistant:

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=39516

In one of many posts I read about this search assistant, someone pointed out that it is a little ridiculous that Dell associated themselves with such a questionable search assistant. Your point about tracking information is an excellent one. I have no idea if I still have this search assistant of Dell's, but I did rid myself of the other........I think. :rolleyes:

After a couple of hours I discovered a way to fully and easily remove My Way from your computer. The solution amazingly comes from none other than a Dell Support Website.
Hope it helps!

commented: Thanks for that, I'm sure it will help! -- dlh +4

Whenever I get a new computer from Dell now.... I'm kinda afraid to turn it on for the first time! :surprised Who knows what the heck Dell loads their systems with now....... maybe one day someone will turn on their new computer and it'll blow up or something. That is why I would reformat a brand new Dell computer before using it!

Hi,
I am getting troubled with "My Way searh assistant". I have tried uninstalling, then running the Spybot, Spywareblaster, Adaware. Restarted the m/c. Still "My Way searh assistant" is listed in my programs, and no button to uninstall it. I ran HijackThis, and the log is below.

There seems to be some "bonjour" files in the log (apprantly comes with iTunes). Is this also some harmful stuff?

Please help.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:44:27 PM, on 9/20/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\WLKeeper.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ISSVC.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\NICCONFIGSVC\NICCONFIGSVC.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ZcfgSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Intel\Wireless\Bin\1XConfig.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ifrmewrk.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Support\DSAgnt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apntex.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\Mohd\Desktop\DownloadFolder\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.cox.net/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Internet Explorer Provided by Cox High Speed Internet
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = local.,
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: CNisExtBho Class - {9ECB9560-04F9-4bbc-943D-298DDF1699E1} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: CNavExtBho Class - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton Internet Security - {0B53EAC3-8D69-4b9e-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelWireless] C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ifrmewrk.exe /tf Intel PROSet/Wireless
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell QuickSet] C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDLauncher] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellSupport] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support\DSAgnt.exe" /startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: MUSICMATCH MX Web Player - {d81ca86b-ef63-42af-bee3-4502d9a03c2d} - http://wwws.musicmatch.com/mmz/openWebRadio.html (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files\bonjour\mdnsnsp.dll
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedContent/common/bin/cabsa.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: IntelWireless - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\LgNotify.dll
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Proxy (ccProxy) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: EvtEng - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: ISSvc (ISSVC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ISSVC.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: NICCONFIGSVC - Dell Inc. - C:\Program Files\Dell\NICCONFIGSVC\NICCONFIGSVC.exe
O23 - Service: RegSrvc - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Spectrum24 Event Monitor (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
O23 - Service: WLANKEEPER - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\WLKeeper.exe

hey guys im new here but ive been around the spyware thing for a while now and lucky for me ive found this forum.

like everyone else i have the mywaysearch assistant in add/remove programs. ive followed all the links (especially the dell forums) and still nothing

dlh6213, i have followed all of your instructions, ive done all the av, adaware and spybot searches but they all came up negative, any more advice?

Hi raynoldz125.

First of all- welcome to Daniweb :).

We ask that members not piggy-back questions on to a thread previously started by another member here in the Viruses, Spyware & other Nasties forum, (regardless of how similar your problem might seem). Not only does it divert the focus of the thread away from the original poster's problem, but it also makes it less likely that you yourself will get the individual attention that you need.

Please start your own thread and post your question there. When you do, please try to give us as much specific info as possible regarding the problem (exact error messages, system specs, etc.).

For a full description of our posting guidelines and general rules of conduct, please see this page:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/faq.php?faq=daniweb_faq#faq_rules

Thanks for understanding.

I was doing one of my routine checks for unwanted spyware/adware in the 'Add or Remove Programs' tool and came across the 'Myway Search Assistant' just wanted to let everyone know that on my Dell Xp 400 Media Center Edition I had no problems un-installing it.
Wish you all the best
-Mike

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.