Having problems opening pages on IE and Firefox. Use AOL and no problem with this. Particular problem with links from sites - just will not open - not just one site. One example - trying to book trains via trainline.com - can do with AOL browser, but not with IE or Firefox (which I prefer to use for speed etc)

Using Windows XP SP2. Netgear router. Spybot used regularly. Norton antivirus and firewall etc.

This is a recent problem.

Any suggestions please?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Did you deactivate JavaScript (FF) or active scripting (IE) ?

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm check both boxes not to run. Then hit apply? Or run. The 2 boxes are other options to fix ie. Give that a shot and see what happens. Also java.com is your java up to date? Hope that helps. Have a nice day

Did you deactivate JavaScript (FF) or active scripting (IE) ?

Both enabled. Problem is getting worse!

I'm going to put my bet on spyware - I've teched more of these than I care to remember and 99% of the time an issue like this was related to some 3rd party code interfering w/ Dynamic Link Library files that handle various functions in the browser. In your case it sounds like files related to scripting may have been botched. You might get lucky and this is just the DLL that handles javascript which should be included in Windows Scripting Host...just go to Google and type in download windows scripting host and the first result should point you in the right direction for a download.

First thing I would do is remove ANY software that is free. The software you installed may be legit but when you click "Accept" on a license agreement you're agreeing to ALL terms listed in that license agreement so a term could be "we reserve the right to distribute our partner's software along with ours"...which could be anything and since you clicked "I Accept" you're at their mercy. Next I would run msinfo32 (Start-->Run-->msinfo32 and click "Ok"). Once MSInfo comes up expand the section "Internet Settings" then "Internet Explorer" and finally highlight the "File Versions" section. In the righthand pane you will see numerous files and their current status. Look for anything with a status of "File Missing" or "Not Available" in the "Version" column. Not all of these files are necessary so don't worry if you're missing a few, this is just a nice way to see the status of files IE uses. What I usually do is write down the name of any files with "Not Available" or "File Missing" status and run a search for them on Google. It's also a good idea to see if the same file exists under a different vendor than MS, for instance, and then remove that software if it's not needed or contact their support group. I've had luck using this method to isolate a particular file that could be causing problems with IE or other browsers assuming they share the same files. Once I've found a file that I think could be the culprit then I go back to Google and type in the <file name> + download which will usually pull up results for downloads that include that particular file. Only download these files from Microsoft sites to insure authenticity - you can use Google's Microsoft only search to help out with this: http://www.google.com/microsoft

Also try:

Start-->Run-->regsvr32 urlmon.dll
Start-->Run-->regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
Start-->Run-->regsvr32 Msjava.dll
Start-->Run-->regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
Start-->Run-->regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
Start-->Run-->regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
Start-->Run-->regsvr32 Browseui.dll
Start-->Run-->regsvr32 Shell32.dll

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm check both boxes not to run. Then hit apply? Or run. The 2 boxes are other options to fix ie. Give that a shot and see what happens. Also java.com is your java up to date? Hope that helps. Have a nice day

Thank you - did not work and java up to date - just trying suggestions from antioed

JJJ...sorry if I'm being the master of the obvious but just in case - no pop up blockers running right? That Google toolbar has been the culprit for problems like this numerous times, sometimes folks just don't know it's running...not to insult you but I'd hate to see you doing all this troubleshooting just to find out it was some pop-up blocker. Generally there's a hotkey to disable...usually it's the Shift key when clicking the link. It also never hurts to clear the cache! Sometimes the devil is in the details. Good luck!

Also try:

Start-->Run-->regsvr32 urlmon.dll
Start-->Run-->regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
Start-->Run-->regsvr32 Msjava.dll
Start-->Run-->regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
Start-->Run-->regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
Start-->Run-->regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
Start-->Run-->regsvr32 Browseui.dll
Start-->Run-->regsvr32 Shell32.dll

Done all of these - only one 'not found' was Msjava.dll - downloaded that - but still showing as missing - how do I sort that out?

Missing or not available form msinfo32 were iecont.dll; iecontlc.dll and ieuninit.inf - do I need to download these or are they ones that don't matter?

Pop up blocker is not the problem.

Aha - yes this is by design...I believe SP2 will remove that file; I am assuming you're on SP2...correct? Basically MS was required to remove Java from XP last year because of lawsuits filed by Sun Microsystem against Microsoft for including its own implementation of Java in the OS. I'm guessing this is why you won't see that file because it's used by Microsoft's Java machine and I don't see it on my XP SP2 machine either - sorry about the old info, I just took that from an old SP1 post of mine. Did you by any chance try downloading the Windows Scripting host? The reason I ask is because I believe it should have a version of a file I'm thinking could be the cause of the problem: jscript.dll

The jscript.dll library is required for windows to operate. It is used by windows when running JScript (Micorosft's implementation of Javascript).

...I actually took a look at the site I think you were trying to hit to look at the train schedule: http://www.thetrainline.com

One thing worth mentioning is that SP2 greatly affects how IE handles scripting since MS is trying to do a little CYA (cover your assets) for the spyware thing - have you tried changing this site to a trusted site and see if it works then? If so then it's just scripting security which can be set using a custom security set for the Internet zone...just figured I'd mention that!

...this site's using ASP pages so I guess it's probably using MS JScript - I've run into similar problems in the past both with JavaScript and Java itself. I don't think that site's using Java so most likely the problem lies in handling of JavaScript. Windows Scripting Host should have a file to remedy that but you'll have to forgive me since this isn't the kind of problem I come across every day and it's been a while since I've dealt with this specific problem...this fix may only work if you had a 3rd party version of that file showing up in MSInfo - maybe you could check for that file and see the date/company info.

Other things to try:

In Internet Explorer click Tools-->Internet Options and on the "General" tab click "Settings" then "View Objects"...remove anything in there (these objects can be reinstalled later). Go into the Control Panel and use Add/Remove Programs to remove any Java related software...reboot. After that I would try a reinstall of XP SP2 since the core files for IE should be updated when you run it. Maybe you can knock it back in line this way. You can always grab the latest Java Virtual Machine from http://java.sun.com

...make sure you only grab the VM - I don't believe you will need any of the runtime environment stuff. Best of luck, hope you find a fix soon!

Also - that jscript.dll file may not be in MSInfo, which is fine...it's only if you happen to have it and it came from another company that you have a problem. Another thing worth reinstalling would be the .NET Framework if the SP doesn't get it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.