Since I woke up this morning my monitor started turning itself on and off and it seems it's doing a degauss when it comes back on. Sometimes the picture will blur and fade to black, other times it's a hard off. It makes a nice crack sound when it goes. :evil:
It was doing it like mad, but now it hasn't done it in awhile. it's never happened before and I'm just about to spend my extra cash on a new video card, which won't get me far without a monitor.
I have a Viewsonic Pro P815 21". The monitor is amazing in detail and I'd pay a couple hundred bucks to fix it rather than buy another one.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I had same problem.
In my case it was just a capacitor,fuse that were changed.
was a cheap affair.

Ahh that's music to my ears. Thanks for the reply!

Since I woke up this morning my monitor started turning itself on and off and it seems it's doing a degauss when it comes back on. Sometimes the picture will blur and fade to black, other times it's a hard off. It makes a nice crack sound when it goes.

It sounds like one or more bad solder connections, which is actually a rare problem in that series of ViewSonics. They are custom-made for VS by Matsushita (a/k/a Panasonic).

The fact that it degausses when it comes back on is useful information. It means that the AC input/main power circuit is the likely culprit. Look at where the power comes into the unit, especially around the AC power jack. Examine wires, connectors, and solder connections in the power path. Lots of light and a magnifying glass may help there.

The symptoms' varying may indicate more than one problem, or a possible crack in a circuit board; for example, sudden-off often indicates a power-supply output problem, whereas fade-out indicates a power-supply input problem (capacitors discharging over time).

(To all) I am considering writing up some tech pointers for my web site, like how to solder, electronic component identification, and dealing with assembly hardware (like case screws). I was a repair tech for a long time, so some tips and tricks may be useful to others. Any interest?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.