Image cut off, fan speeds in this order: CPU Fan, System Fan

[IMG]http://www.oddworldz.com/alittleodd/web_image/computertemp.jpg[/IMG]

Umm... is this an issue? I decided to check my computer's temperature after recently having frequent crashes. A friend told me it might be a heating issue. I checked this through my BIOS as my computer was starting up. After starting up, I downloaded MBM5 and got a reading of 30/98. (this may be inacurate since it didn't list my exact motherboard so I picked the next best thing) I'm not sure what normal temperatures are; could someone help me out here?

[edit]
I figured I should also post extra information:
AMD Athalon XP 3000+ 2.16ghz
512mb RAM
Fan speed in picture
Nvidia Ge-Force FX 5200 (O.C. from 250mhz to 311mhz)
[/edit]

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Image cut off, fan speeds in this order: CPU Fan, System Fan

[IMG]http://www.oddworldz.com/alittleodd/web_image/computertemp.jpg[/IMG]

Umm... is this an issue? I decided to check my computer's temperature after recently having frequent crashes. A friend told me it might be a heating issue. I checked this through my BIOS as my computer was starting up. After starting up, I downloaded MBM5 and got a reading of 30/98. (this may be inacurate since it didn't list my exact motherboard so I picked the next best thing) I'm not sure what normal temperatures are; could someone help me out here?

[edit]
I figured I should also post extra information:
AMD Athalon XP 3000+ 2.16ghz
512mb RAM
Fan speed in picture
Nvidia Ge-Force FX 5200 (O.C. from 250mhz to 311mhz)
[/edit]

well if its 98*C then yes its a problem, but i think that its not right cuz thats the temp of boiling water....check through your bios and you can get a more accurate reading from there.

Sorry, the picture doesn't show up. It says 79c/174f

Sorry, the picture doesn't show up. It says 79c/174f

well i dont think that this temp is right if its not the right motherboard selected...however, take your hand and touch the side of the heatsink and if you feel like your going to get burned you know its too hot and maybe should clean the heatsink and put some new paste on, but you are probably fine and that it just has the wrong motherboard selected. (i did that once and it kept shutting off my computer becasue it said it was 120 degrees)

No, the heatsink does not feel hot at all. And the 79c/174f reading is from the BIOS, not MBM, so it *is* for the right motherboard, hence my confusion.

No, the heatsink does not feel hot at all. And the 79c/174f reading is from the BIOS, not MBM, so it *is* for the right motherboard, hence my confusion.

if that is the senario then your temperature diaodes could be bad on the motherboard which is not too uncomon, and therefore i wouldnt worry about the temperatures unless it starts crashing after a lot of gaming or something. hope this helps :cool:

Well, Doom 3 did freeze up on me and go to the title screen... but I think if it had been a heating problem it would crash completely.

What kind of heatsink do you have on there? 79C is a little hot for my comfort.

According to the AMD spec for that processor, they recommend 85C as being the upper limit for heat on the die. Since thermal diodes can be as much as 10C off, you might very well be running at 89C!

That is, of course, assuming that your thermal diode isn't bad. At the very least, I'd remove the heatsink, clean all the paste off of both surfaces, and make sure you've got everything seated correctly. If that doesn't work, I'd consider beefing up your cooling solution.

What kind of heatsink do you have on there? 79C is a little hot for my comfort.

According to the AMD spec for that processor, they recommend 85C as being the upper limit for heat on the die. Since thermal diodes can be as much as 10C off, you might very well be running at 89C!

That is, of course, assuming that your thermal diode isn't bad. At the very least, I'd remove the heatsink, clean all the paste off of both surfaces, and make sure you've got everything seated correctly. If that doesn't work, I'd consider beefing up your cooling solution.

another thing to consider is your graphics card being overclocked, that thing could be super hot if you ore overclocking it, try and crank that back to low stock speeds and see if you notice any improvements

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.