I have a stand-alone 2k machine that I loaded the IIS from the 2k cd.

Basically I have a htlm program run which displays the exploded view of an assembly on the screen with hot spots. When you click on a part of the assembly it runs an ASP program that pulls the data for that part from an Access database and calls a popup program to display a box with the info on the screen.

Everything was running fine then last month someone got into the system and changed something. No one is confessing!! Now when I click on a part I get the following message:

Server Application Error

The server has encountered an error while loading an application during the processing of your request. Please refer to the event log for more detail information. Please contact the server administrator for assistance.

When I check the error log this is what it says:

The server failed to load application '/LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT'. The error was 'General access denied error'.

I'm not sure what program is trying to run because I didn't set up anything in those directories. Any help to get this corrected would be appreciated!!!

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

the server process needs to have permissions on the direcories involved

the server process needs to have permissions on the direcories involved

So what could have been changed to make this stop working? What do I need to change to make it work again? It had been working fine for several months.

Thanks for the reply

John

did you do an update?

I'm not sure what has been done to the computer since the IIS stopped working. Should I try and uninstall and reinstall it?

check for windows updates. I know there was an issue for Server 2003 where IIS would crash after a set number of connections - maybe you have a similar issue

Ok I'll check that but I'm just running 2k pro not server 2003. Thanks for your suggestions

John

I just checked via a quick link in the message and there is an update for version 5. Thanks again

John

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.