Hi, I am unable to create a new database within Visual Studio. I can however create a database in SqlExpress and then see it in Visual Studio, but once in Visual Studio I can’t seem to do anything, e.g. If I right click the ‘Tables’ icon within a database in Visual Studio I should be able to click to create a ‘New Table’. But the only things I see when I right click the ‘Tables’ icon are ‘Refresh’ and ‘Properties’.

Also, when I create a Data Form Wizard, I first select the ‘Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server’ . I then go to the ‘Connection’ tab of the wizard and put in ‘(Home)\NetSDK’ as my server name, I then select ‘Use Windows NT Integrated security’ and then I am able to Select the database I want from the drop down list. Once I have done this I am able to go to the ‘Choose tables and views’ section of the wizard and I am able to select a table in the Available Items list and click the > button to move it to the selected Items list. After I have selected the table I click ‘Next’, and this is the point when I get a pop-up box that reads:

‘The following error occurred:”There were errors configuring the data adapter.”

Can anyone give me any pointers as to what might be going wrong here?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

If I'm correct you should use VS 2005 with SQL server 2005. Just download VS 2008 (or VS 2005 if you do not want to make big jump)

If I'm correct you should use VS 2005 with SQL server 2005. Just download VS 2008 (or VS 2005 if you do not want to make big jump)

Hi many thanks for your reply. As you may have guessed, I am a student studying ASP.NET, and my tutors advise I stick to VS 2003 for the moment due to the fact that all the text books I'm using refer to this version of VS. I have contacted my tutor about this problem, but I he has not yet replied due to the fact that he may be researching a solution.

I am in touch with some of my fellow students, who are all successfully using Sql Server 2005 in VS 2003, and they don't seem to know why I am having these problems.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.