I woke up then realized "I want to learn ASP.NET" so I googled for ASP .NET tutorial and ended up at w3schools website. It says prerequisites are Windows Operating System, .net frame work, IIS, and a text editor.

So I inserted my windows XP cd to install the IIS component, checked if it is working and yes it is. I have .net installed already because i've been programming with C# for quite some time (.net 3.5).. Notepad is my text editor and started reading w3school's ASP.net tutorial.. It says that the extension for ASP.net Pages is ".aspx" So i changed my index.htm to index.aspx then it's not working. What happens is it downloads index.aspx. So i was wondering maybe my IIS isn't configured properly so I did a research and found this:

To install and enable ASP.NET:

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. Click Add or Remove Programs.
3. Click Add/Remove Windows components.
4. Double-click Application Server, and then click Details.
5. Click to select the ASP.NET check box, and then click OK.
6. Click Next.
7. Click Finish.

APPLIES TO

* Microsoft Internet Information Services 6.0
* Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition (32-bit x86)
* Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86)
* Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Web Edition

Ok look at number 4. I cannot find "application server". Then I thought maybe my version of IIS is lower than 6.0 because it says that windows XP by default comes with IIS 5.x... And yes I'm using windows XP and not a windows server operating system. I found out that II6 is only available for Windows Server 2003. So as of now I have come to conclusion that..... ASP.NET only runs on a windows Server... now can anyone tell me how to correctly deploy ASP.NET so that I could start my tutorial?..

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Internet Information Services is not installed on Windows XP by default.
To install IIS
1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and double-click Add/Remove Programs. The Add/Remove Programs application starts.
2. In the left column of the Add/Remove Programs dialog box, click Add/Remove Windows Components.
3. When the Windows Components Wizard appears, click Next.
4. In the Windows Components list, select IIS.
5. Click Next, and follow the instructions.

Internet Information Services is not installed on Windows XP by default.
To install IIS
1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and double-click Add/Remove Programs. The Add/Remove Programs application starts.
2. In the left column of the Add/Remove Programs dialog box, click Add/Remove Windows Components.
3. When the Windows Components Wizard appears, click Next.
4. In the Windows Components list, select IIS.
5. Click Next, and follow the instructions.

I said my IIS is already INSTALLED and it's RUNNING.

If IIS is installed properly,to run an application or a website in it,you need to configure the application in IIS.go to control panel>Administrative tools>IIS > ..see the left panel.....Take websites>Default Websites..Right click on default websites and select new>virtual directory ..select the directory where you created your application....Now it should work properly

If IIS is installed properly,to run an application or a website in it,you need to configure the application in IIS.go to control panel>Administrative tools>IIS > ..see the left panel.....Take websites>Default Websites..Right click on default websites and select new>virtual directory ..select the directory where you created your application....Now it should work properly

I said my IIS is running and it is working fine. It runs ASP pages and no problem with that.. but it doesn't run ASPX pages... with the X on the ASP like ASP + X = ASPX...

CHECK THE FRAMEWORK VERSION FROM IIS.
Go to virtual directory then right click on properties then click on asp.net tab. Now set the framework version which u used in your asp.net project.

CHECK THE FRAMEWORK VERSION FROM IIS.
Go to virtual directory then right click on properties then click on asp.net tab. Now set the framework version which u used in your asp.net project.

hah. let me guess you haven't caught my error... what's wrong is that I haven't installed my visual web developer for ASP.NET..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.