Hi all,

Currently working on Visual Studio trying to create a login system for my website. Tried following various tutorials but can't seem to get them to work.

Are the pre-defined login tools on Visual Studio good enough? I've got part way there using them but can't piece it all together.

I have an sql database with a users table (containing username/password fields) and get the login tools to login but am unsure how to check which member is logged in/where the info is stored etc. Session variables?

Thanks.

>Are the pre-defined login tools on Visual Studio good enough?

Of course but you have to customize it. Authentication, authorization, user accounts, and roles or profile are major features. You can take advantage of a lot of the tools and features that the framework provides for you by writing a membership, role or profile provider if the default options don't quite go as far as you'd like.

I strongly suggest using forms authentication. Read this and this article.

>check which member is logged in/where the info is stored etc. Session variables?

Avoid using session as much as you can.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.