I'm creating this web application using asp.net in conjunction with vb.net. will i have difficulties in finding a host company around given people prefer the more open source frameworks like mysql instead of sql server and Apache instead of iis. what other constraints could i face in publishing this app, kindly.

I'm creating this web application using asp.net in conjunction with vb.net. will i have difficulties in finding a host company around given people prefer the more open source frameworks like mysql instead of sql server and Apache instead of iis. what other constraints could i face in publishing this app, kindly.

Officially the only server you can host any ASP.NET application in is IIS. Now you could host on a Linux server with Mono installed and apache properly configured, but apache configuration can be a nightmare if you don't know what you're doing. I have my own ASP.NET app running in IIS 7 on Go-Daddy's servers, and haven't had too many configuration errors yet. I did run into a database permissions issue, but that's to be expected in a hosted environment.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.