Hi.
I'm currently developing a CRM in ASP.NET 4.0. It has a database connection that resides on a separate computer.
The development and dev-hosting of the site is done locally.

Until yesterday everything worked almost flawlessly (except for those part I'm working on), but suddenly all postbacks and redirects slowed almost to a crawl.
And for the life of me I can't figure it out.

I read one blog that said that it's always a good idea to use the overloads for Response.Redirect, and to enter False as the second argument.
So, I changed those in some of the places and I noticed a slight difference in performance. But only when redirecting to a different page.
It's the postbacks that are killing me here.

I make frequent use of UpdatePanels and one of the pages do perform several queries against the database, but that has never been an issue before.

Has anyone any ideas of what the issue can be?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Have you closed all open connections when they are no longer needed? You could be hitting the connection pool limit and so the system is waiting for resources to be released. But, to be honest,you would probably be seeing connection timeouts as well as delays if that was the problem.

Thank you for your response.
But I don't see how that could be the problem.

This occurs from the very start.
I'll boot up the computer, run Visual Studio, hit debug and presto! Very slow.
I've even tried publishing to the local IIS wwwroot folder and browse to the application as one normally would to any website. Same thing.

My default browser is Chrome, but I've tried using Firefox and Internet Explorer as well.
Same problem.

And by the way.
How do you close a connection to IIS from within an ASP.NET application?
That would be interesting to know. :)

I'm bumping this because I only got one reply that wasn't even helpful, nor provided an explanation to my problem.

I figured it out.
In the master page init event there was a call to a database query that, despite being extremely narrow using the WHERE clause, took too long.

I'll have to figure out a way to both keep the cake and eat it at the same time.
I need that query. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.