I’ve been developing ASP.NET 1.1 applications for quite long. About 4 month ago I switched to new .Net 2.0 platform. And here are few stuff that really confusing me about it.
(I use MS VS 2005 Standard for development)

what’s the big A in the VS2005’s way of site’s publishing/compilcation. It’s when 5-10 dlls a being created and all <% Page %> tags are rewritten to be referenced to proper dll (one of). Each publication time names of dlls are being changed – some hash is added.

So when I need to do small fix in source code, I nead to recompile whole project and upload ALL the files (they referenced to new dlls)

What’s so cool in it? I ‘ve been told that there’s a way to modify such a sites easily – but I’m not aware of that

How to write modules that are changed often on site.

Real (my) situation:
I have forum written on asp.net 2.0. it’s placed on already 5 web-sites. They differs only with design (aspx, ascx) – let’s say footer and header. I need to do some functionality change in the code.
So update of such a thing becomes really not-trivial.
If I have source code in one place – I need to compile that, than copy to different folders and look what should I change in aspx files
If I have source code special for each forum (More logical) I need to do N times that code change

Wow, does that sound weird?
In the same time, on VS2003 I needed to just copy new .dll file

So, how should I do that, and how are you doing with such a things?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

what’s the big A in the VS2005’s way of site’s publishing/compilcation. It’s when 5-10 dlls a being created and all <% Page %> tags are rewritten to be referenced to proper dll (one of). Each publication time names of dlls are being changed – some hash is added.

So when I need to do small fix in source code, I nead to recompile whole project and upload ALL the files (they referenced to new dlls)

What’s so cool in it? I ‘ve been told that there’s a way to modify such a sites easily – but I’m not aware of that

If you do not want vs to rename each time your dll's when publishing check option "Use fixed naming and single page assemblies".

How to write modules that are changed often on site.

Real (my) situation:
I have forum written on asp.net 2.0. it’s placed on already 5 web-sites. They differs only with design (aspx, ascx) – let’s say footer and header. I need to do some functionality change in the code.
So update of such a thing becomes really not-trivial.
If I have source code in one place – I need to compile that, than copy to different folders and look what should I change in aspx files
If I have source code special for each forum (More logical) I need to do N times that code change

Wow, does that sound weird?
In the same time, on VS2003 I needed to just copy new .dll file

So, how should I do that, and how are you doing with such a things?

Here you can also copy just one file App_Code.dll. Publish your site to some local folder. Copy required file and paste it in your site. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.