My first attempt at ASP.NET...

I would like to convert my current website to .NET as a way to get the feel for the new environment. In my current website, I have code which checks a database to find out which menus to display and then loads them accordantly. I have tried to make this happen in ASP.NET with no success. Could some one please help?

What I would like to have help with is simple. I would like to have an ASP form which only says "Hello World", but the entire HTML page is generated in the WebForm1.aspx.vb Page_Load event. I thought this would be a rather easy process, but I have yet to have the ASP.NET call the Page_Load event. Is there something special which must be done?

Any help would be appreciated, and thanks in advance.

- Eric

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Ok, well I'm assuming you know you're running your scripts on a .NET enabled server. Also, I'm assuming you're using your WebForm1.aspx.vb as your code behind page (which is loaded at the top of the *.aspx page. If this isn't the case, take off the .vb
I.e. don't type in a URL like http://www.somesite.com/someDir/somePage.aspx.vb it shouldn't have the .vb
As for the page load, there should be a method in your aspx file that's something like (forgive me if it's wrong because I don't have my docs to look at right now)

public void OnPage_Load(object sender, EventArgs e){
    if(Page.IsPostBack()){
        // do stuff if the page is posted back
    } else {
        // Do stuff only the first time the page loads
    }
    // do stuff no matter which time the page loads
}

That's all in C# but you should get the idea. Once I check my docs, I'll get back to you if it's wrong

Yes my server handles .NET. I have made small ASP.NET forms which display and work. Now I need to create the entire HTML dynamically. Whenever I run my code, .NET populates it's own HTML to run and never enters the Page_Load event. Here is all my code....

dynamic_page.aspx: (I have set the AutoEventWireup to both True and False...)

<%@ Page Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false" Codebehind="dynamic_page.aspx.vb" %>

dynamic_page.aspx.vb:

Public Class dynamic_page
    Inherits System.Web.UI.Page

#Region " Web Form Designer Generated Code "

'This call is required by the Web Form Designer.
    <System.Diagnostics.DebuggerStepThrough()> Private Sub InitializeComponent()

End Sub

Private Sub Page_Init(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Init
        'CODEGEN: This method call is required by the Web Form Designer
        'Do not modify it using the code editor.
        InitializeComponent()
    End Sub

#End Region

Public Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
        'Put user code to initialize the page here
        If Not Page.IsPostBack Then
            Response.Write("<html><head></head><body>Eric</body></html>")
        End If
    End Sub

End Class

HTML returned from server to client box:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=utf-8"></HEAD>
<BODY></BODY></HTML>

*** On another note: Why does my VS.NET always place

Inherits="www.derivetech.us.dynamic_page"

in the "<% @ Page" tag? It causes the page to display an error for line 1.

Thanks for your time and help.
- Eric

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.