The following stored procedure is supposed to add a new record to the database OR update Mdescript if it already exists. However I keep getting errors such as primary key violations. Please take a look, many thanks :)

USE [COSHH2008]
GO
/****** Object:  StoredProcedure [dbo].[CHSP_OR_ACTIVITYAREA_001]    Script Date: 12/02/2008 13:59:33 ******/
SET ANSI_NULLS ON
GO
SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
GO
ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[CHSP_OU_METHOD_001] @Method VARCHAR(50), @Mdescript VARCHAR(MAX) 

AS

DECLARE @rc integer

set @rc =

(	SELECT @@ROWCOUNT
	FROM  Method as a  
	--
		WHERE a.Method = @Method AND a.Mdescript = @Mdescript)

IF	@rc IS NULL
	BEGIN

--SET @rc = 0

INSERT INTO Method VALUES (@Method, @Mdescript)

END

DECLARE @mc integer

SET @mc =

(SELECT @@ROWCOUNT

FROM Method as m

WHERE m.METHOD = @Method)

IF @mc = 1
	BEGIN

UPDATE Method
	SET Mdescript = @Mdescript
	WHERE Method = @Method

END

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Primary key violation usually means that U are trying to enter or insert a value that already exist in the primary key field, there is nothing wrong I see in the code, Primary keys have to be unique

Yes I know that, hence if it already exists it should do an update! Not a replace.

Well on that case you need to have an else statement

IF @rc IS NULL
   BEGIN
  --SET @rc = 0
    INSERT INTO Method VALUES (@Method, @Mdescript)
         SELECT @@IDENTITY
    END
    ELSE
       UPDATE YOUR RECORD
       SELECT @RC

Hi thanks for that, but it turned out the whole of the code can be simplified using IF EXISTS, arghh this is so obvious when I think about it. Sorry about the newbie post everyone

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.