Hi

I have Windows 7 Home Premium SP-1, 64-bit version on my PC. I want to install SQL Server either 2oo5 or 2008. but i am unable to install this.

Error:
OS Incompatibility

Pls Reply:

Thank U

Don't install SQL 2008. Use SQL 2008R2 or SQL 2005. My software ships with SQL 2008R2 and I have had a few problems installing SQL server on home editions of windows due to missing privilieges. The below code has the privileges in question and an article:

#region security token validation
      {
        try
        {
          bool failed = false;
          StringBuilder sb = new StringBuilder();
          using (Process process = Process.GetCurrentProcess())
          {
            Privilege[] checkFor = new Privilege[] { Privilege.Backup, Privilege.Debug, Privilege.Security };
            for (int i1 = 0; i1 < checkFor.Length; i1++)
            {
              Privilege priv = checkFor[i1];
              using (new PrivilegeEnabler(process, priv))
              {
                PrivilegeState state = process.GetPrivilegeState(priv);
                sb.AppendLine(string.Format("{0}: {1}", priv.ToString(), state.ToString()));
                if (state != PrivilegeState.Enabled)
                  failed = true;
              }
            }
          }
          if (failed)
          {
            DialogResult dr = MessageBox.Show(
              "Security tokens SeBackupPrivilege, SeDebugPrivilege and SeSecurityPrivilege are required to install SQL server." + Environment.NewLine +
              "One or more tokens could not be obtained and the SQL installation will likely fail." + Environment.NewLine +Environment.NewLine +
              sb.ToString() + Environment.NewLine +
              @"Further reading: http://blogs.technet.com/b/fort_sql/archive/2009/12/17/installing-reporting-services-2008.aspx" + Environment.NewLine + Environment.NewLine +
              "Would you like to continue the installation?",
              "",
              MessageBoxButtons.YesNo,
              MessageBoxIcon.Warning);

if (dr != DialogResult.Yes)
              return ActionResult.Success;
          }
        }
        catch (Exception ex)
        {
          MessageBox.Show("Failed to validate security tokens: " + Environment.NewLine + Environment.NewLine +
            ex.GetErrorText(), "", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Error);
        }
      }
      #endregion

Prerequisits (installer will notify you of missing components):
.NET Framework 3.5 SP1
Windows Powershell 1.0 - Included with OS
Windows Installer 5.0 - Included with OS
Internet Explorer 6 SP1 or later - Included with OS

After that download SQL 2008R2 with tools:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/5/8/558522E0-2150-47E2-8F52-FF4D9C3645DF/SQLEXPRWT_x64_ENU.exe

After downloading launch the installation:

SQLEXPRWT_x64_ENU.exe /ACTION=Install /UIMODE=AutoAdvance /SkipRules=RebootRequiredCheck /FEATURES=SQL,TOOLS /INSTANCENAME=CHANGEME /SQLSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\Network Service" /SQLSVCStartupType=Automatic /RSSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\Network Service" /RSSVCStartupType=Automatic /ADDCURRENTUSERASSQLADMIN="True" /ENABLERANU=0 /ERRORREPORTING="True" /SQMREPORTING="True" /SECURITYMODE="SQL" /TCPENABLED="1" /NPENABLED="1" /BROWSERSVCSTARTUPTYPE="Automatic" /INSTALLSHAREDDIR="%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server" /INSTALLSHAREDWOWDIR="%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft SQL Server" /INSTANCEDIR="%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server" /SAPWD="***YOUR_SA_PASSWORD" /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS="BUILTIN\ADMINISTRATORS" /IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS

Also see:
How to install SQL server from the command prompt

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.