I have bought a legal copy of SQL Server 2000 to put on one of my websites but can't seem to get it to load. Any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Why are you asking about SQL Server 2000 in a MySQL forum? Wouldn't you expect a better response in a forum dealing with that product? And your subject heading is misleading.

Why are you asking about SQL Server 2000 in a MySQL forum? Wouldn't you expect a better response in a forum dealing with that product? And your subject heading is misleading.

Your response is not very helpful. Is this how you respond when someone is asking for help? Obviously, I am a neophyte regarding differentiating MYSQL and SQL Server 2000. A reply explaining these are different platforms and a sugestion that I try a thread in a SQL Server 2000 forum would be much more helpful. Is this going to be the type of response I can expect if posting a thread. If I were more knowledgeable, I wouldn't have posted a thread that was (most likely) not clear enough to get help that I am asking. If you spent time reading and replying to my thread, why not invest just a little more time advisong me how I can post an effective thread for what I need? Having 76 posts and 7 resolved threads to your name indicates you are knowledgeable. Why not use that knowledge to assist rather than appearing to put someone down? I've stated what I wanted to state so I won't drag this out. If you want to be of help, please respond. Otherwise, please spend your energies on some other befuddled threaders knuckles.

:) webman07, What trudge said is right. If you had posted your question in sql forum, I am sure, by now, someone would have answered your question.

Anyway, When you buy a domain, I think they provide database with the domain. I don't think you can 'load' sql to your website. You should ask the your hosting company to do it for you.

How is anyone to know you are a neophyte? Nowhere in your original post do you indicate your level of knowledge about this. Yes, I could have thrown you a fish, but knowledge tastes much better when you catch it yourself, even with a little help. Bear in mind no one in this forum is paid to answer questions. By pointing you (hopefully) in the right direction, I gave you a hint, not just for this posting, but for all future ones. If you want a good answer, you must learn how (and where) to ask a good question.

I agree whole-heartedly with webman07.......The tone with which trudge responded was NOT helpful and decidely condescending......Also not a good point.....And for Trudge to say things like "nowhere in your post do you indicate your level of knowledge about this", followed by "knowledge tastes much better when you catch it yourself", followed by......"I gave you a hint", followed by......"If you want a good answer, you must learn how (and where) to ask a good question."......

Ermmm......excuse me????? Lol.......Trudge........did you learn to speak autonomously or did you have parents , family and subsequently Teachers to TEACH YOU ?????!!!!!!! And who are you to dictate how knowledge tastes BEST to anyone ?????? This is the height of arrogance on your part Trudge.......

It should be obvious by webman07's question what his level of knowledge concerning MySQL and SQL is, else he wouldnt have asked the question, correct? I think that much should be obvious.

I happened onto this Forum via a Google Search as any reasonably informed surfer would have done....and sadly.....I found webman07 getting beat up by Trudge and then backed up by Nav33.....sigh.

I don't think these Forums are intended to be a Game or some sort of Riddle-Quest.....I suppose now Trudge will belittle my post....so....while you're at it Trudge go ahead a belittle Google for having sent me here and not having the supreme knowledge that you obviously and capriciously possess and negatively maintain.

Cmon guys......Let's lighten things up a bit, eh???

Oh....and hopefully you understand what my level of SQL is, given my handle.....newbie_mysql

Respectfully submitted

commented: Unnecessarily trying to reignite an old skirmish -1

@webman07 & newbie_mysql:
Firstly webman07, trudge isn't wrong, let alone being arrogant. He just pointed you in the right direction. When posting on a forum its always good to know what the the forum has to offer, it's rules etc so you know your way around. Wasn't webman07 able to see the forum for MS SQL that is just below MySQL and if he doesn't even know the difference between SQL Server and MySQL wasn't he expected to get that cleared before posting the thread. Don't treat questions like you haven't got anything to do with them, they are your queries, your questions and you are supposed to be the one to put in the greatest effort solving them, not others, they are just there to help you through not share the majority of the burden of solving your queries. Read this essay on how to questions, you both will know a few things about asking questions on a forum, especially when the other members are doing it free of cost. And don't you and newbie_mysql come up with lame examples of parents and teachers, your parents and teachers had the morale responsibility of teaching you, making you learn, WE DO NOT. We would be happy enough even if you don't learn a thing for the rest of your life, it's your life, and we won't find ourselves in guilt.

And newbie_mysql just drop that IM/Chat speak, it is against the forum rules as well.

I found webman07 getting beat up by Trudge and then backed up by Nav33.....sigh.

:D What are you saying man ? Backed up ? I wasn't even trying to be mean there!

Webman's post is clearly quite desperate, and lacking some fundamental knowledge. Also, he does not give anywhere near enough information to enable anyone to help him.

Trudge is clearly impatient with these kind of people, and brusquely points out some of the errors.

I understand webman: he may have spent days non-stop trying to work out a problem, and his question is less of a question, and more of a desperate shot in the dark hoping someone can fish him from the technological mire he finds himself in. It's kind of a literary "Arrrrgghhh!!" rather than a specific question. He wants handholding until he can get some basic idea of what he's doing.
My advice would be that he's taken on more than he can chew, and should google some reference sites to learn the very basics first. Impatience to 'get on with it' prevents people from doing that, but it is by far the best suggestion.

Trudge spends who knows how many hours answering difficult questions in a difficult scenario: not being there to 'see' the problem. He does this freely and to help people and must get incredibly frustrated sometimes at people's lack of knowledge, and their lack of preparedness to seek basic information which will help both themselves and him.
However, he chooses to do this of his own volition, therefore when faced with people who are desperate and clearly lacking in knowledge he perhaps could show restraint and point out that they need to go elsewhere and learn something else, as a first step, in a respectful manner.

Computers and software are incredibly, inhumanly complex, therefore the problems are many and often difficult to identify and solve. I have also made first posts like Webman's, and had responses similar to Trudges. They're both in the wrong, but it's not like they shot anyone. They're exhibiting normal human nature in both being frustrated and impatient.

My response now in forum's if I 'do a Webman', is to 'take it on the chin', and value the fact that if I show a little willing to at least learn where I should be, and ask a focussed question, I get good help from people who offer it freely.

You are 100% correct. Trudge and his "compadre" were deeply condescending and patronising. I wonder if he would also tease a starving african by tantalising him with his dangling "fish"?

It serves no purpose - other than one's own ego - to speak in such manner to individuals who have quite sincerely sought help, and by so doing, ALREADY admitted lack of knowledge and thus complimented the guy by asking him about his now braggardly subject!. It seems this is just a sad trait of human nature that always arises, - the "superior" SNEERING at what he deems to be his "inferiors". It's a bit like those who BEEEPPP their horns at learner drivers whilst at all times being resplendent and secure in their knowledge that THEY were never so 'stupid' as to ever have been learner drivers!. The technical term for such is, I believe, "Nobhead"

I was also seeking knowledge about how to add database mysql etc (which is ewhy I ended up here) but looking at that shit, I now feel like limbering up and givin some twat a smack in the face instead!

Respectfully submitted

I agree whole-heartedly with webman07.......The tone with which trudge responded was NOT helpful and decidely condescending......Also not a good point.....And for Trudge to say things like "nowhere in your post do you indicate your level of knowledge about this", followed by "knowledge tastes much better when you catch it yourself", followed by......"I gave you a hint", followed by......"If you want a good answer, you must learn how (and where) to ask a good question."......

Ermmm......excuse me????? Lol.......Trudge........did you learn to speak autonomously or did you have parents , family and subsequently Teachers to TEACH YOU ?????!!!!!!! And who are you to dictate how knowledge tastes BEST to anyone ?????? This is the height of arrogance on your part Trudge.......

It should be obvious by webman07's question what his level of knowledge concerning MySQL and SQL is, else he wouldnt have asked the question, correct? I think that much should be obvious.

I happened onto this Forum via a Google Search as any reasonably informed surfer would have done....and sadly.....I found webman07 getting beat up by Trudge and then backed up by Nav33.....sigh.

I don't think these Forums are intended to be a Game or some sort of Riddle-Quest.....I suppose now Trudge will belittle my post....so....while you're at it Trudge go ahead a belittle Google for having sent me here and not having the supreme knowledge that you obviously and capriciously possess and negatively maintain.

Oh....and hopefully you understand what my level of SQL is, given my handle.....newbie_mysql

Respectfully submitted

Respectfully submitted

you guys are rude, but I have found that to be true of most forums that deal with technology!

commented: So is adding a pointless reply to a two year old thread. -3

I have bought a legal copy of SQL Server 2000 to put on one of my websites but can't seem to get it to load. Any ideas?

You need to actually get onto the desktop of you're server that is hosting your website.

You need a dedicated server to do this or you have to ask your hosting company to set it up, if you are on a shared server you likely wont be able to install it.

A website is just a bunch of pages sat on a web server, you have to actually install sql server. Pretty much every web hosting server comes standard with mysql built in for free so i don't know why you dont just use that.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.