Member Avatar for ingeva

After close to 40 years of programming one might think that databases would be a well known subject, but it's not for me. In fact I have never had a need for a database until now.

I have installed Joomla because I want to develop my websites faster and more elegantly. Joomla requires MySQL. So I have installed a MySQL database, calling it "joomla".

When I start Joomla I get the following message:

jtablesession::Store Failed
DB function failed with error number 1146
Table 'joomla.jos_session' doesn't exist SQL=INSERT INTO `jos_session` ( `session_id`,`time`,`username`,`gid`,`guest`,`client_id` ) VALUES ( '819527f7fb021cdacd0c7be44b922c85','1237140929','','0','1','0' )

Obviously I have to do something more, but I was stupid enough to believe that after the DB was created, Joomla would do the rest.

This should probably have a thread of its own, but since it's connected, I take it here:
I also installed myphpadmin in the hope that it might help, but the response I get is this:

The configuration file now needs a secret passphrase (blowfish_secret).

I've checked the configuration files and understand nothing. So what do I do?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

once you create a dbase
then you have the ability to cxreate a number of tables inside the database, in my head the database is an empty filing cabinet, plenty of potential but not much use yet, my host pack has 1 database, but it has installed in it 6 different products, 6 sets of tables.
Install packs for joomla-esque products (joomla-ish(?) hard to determine what is a reasonable adjective) usually include php scripts or sql instructions to create the tables and defaults in the database once the database exists.
sometimes the scripts are buried right at the end of the install instructions instead of at the start Joomla help has http://help.joomla.org/content/view/1947/302/1/0/
a reasonalble online helpset, decent screenshots of database, and manual instructions as wellbeginner, is a good place to start :)

Member Avatar for ingeva

once you create a dbase
then you have the ability to cxreate a number of tables inside the database

I know this, but I have trouble doing ANYTHING with the database after it was created. I know the name and the password, but then I'm stuck. I have failed to find relevant documentation. mysql-admin doesn't give a clue.

phpmyadmin's documentation is full or errors and omissions. For instance, it tells you to use file so-and-so, but where's the file located???? It pisses me off to have to search like a madman for something that should be on the first page in the manual.

The Joomla installation manual tells you about installation of joomla. I've done that. I even got phpmyadmin to work after having to do some guesswork with Apache. But none of these can access my database. The mysql server is up and running, though.

There's more missing information here. I have limited time to study before I need to have the software working.
I won't give up on this, but having to spend days on something this obvious gives me a feeling that something has NOT developed in the last 20 years.

Oh yes, everyone has to be a beginner some time. I'm not in the habit of giving up, and I won't do it this time. Even at 60 I have several years left to learn new things .... :)

page 4 of the joomla online referst to the database,
and table creation within the database.
If you have begun manually you need the appropriate part of the joomla manual install.

Joomla did not install properly. install includes creating tables in the database.
Perhaps rerun the install scripts

Member Avatar for ingeva

page 4 of the joomla online referst to the database,
and table creation within the database.
If you have begun manually you need the appropriate part of the joomla manual install.

OK, thanks, I'll have a closer look at it. I thought the installation was finished, but it seems to be MySQL I have a problem with, or possibly Joomla's access to it because it looks like it doesn't use the correct db name.

Hi,

I worked it out, was a very simple fix and am going to explain it in beginners terms as I couldn't find a fix I could understand.

1.Go into your new web server, where you are trying to host your website files and go into "phpMyAdmin", and into the Database and then at the top left- click on the database you have transfered (whatever you named it, eg database_new There will also be one called _jo151 But click on the database you transfered ( _new). It opens up a page of the database.
Now see the title "Table", it'll have things like "jos_banner" and jos_bannerclient" etc.
The first 3 letters are the prefix and are possibly different to "jos". What ever those 3 letters are, in particular scroll down to where you see "jos_sessions" (or what ever the 3 letters are on yours) are the prefix you need to take note of and change in the next part. We'll use the example "abc_"
Close that window, you didn't need to do anything there but take note of the 3 letter prefix.

2.Now go into "File Manager" in the CPanel, and click on it to open it and in the new window to go into your Web Root (public_html/www) directory (you may this this automatic to go staight to this directory).
Now go into the "configuration.php" file and edit it: look for

var $dbtype = 'mysql';
var $host = 'localhost';
var $user = 'yourdatabase_admin';
var $password = 'your password;';
var $db = 'databse_new';
var $dbprefix = 'jos_';

Now change the dbprefix = 'jos_' (change the 3 letters to whatever the 3 letters were in Step 1. Example, change to 'abc_' (or your prefix found in Step 1).
Save changes and that's it!

I hope that helps someone else sort it in a few mins.

PS. Make sure your password and user name and the database name are all correct, in the configuration.php file, these should be the same as to when you installed the database that you transfered to the new web host.

(and make sure you set the template default to your chosen template in the Joomla log in (SimpleScripts or Fantastico or whatever you used to install Joomla), so your template appears and your website appears as it was on the old server)

:icon_biggrin:

Member Avatar for ingeva

Wow! Thanks, but I actually solved this last year (first half of 2009) but I
forgot (or didn't know how) to mark the thread as solved. I knew nothing
about MySQL or Joomla at that time, but had my first Joomla-based system
running (and transferred to a customer) in august. I think quite successfully
too.
Thanks to DaniWeb and all help that I have received here.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.