here is my dilemma

I have a database that consists of tables (duh!) for an award nomination project
where I have a table for nominees and a table for each category of qualifications
for example

table 1 (nominees)
name
ID_NUMBER PK
DEPARTMENT
NAME
PHONE#

table 2 (education_information)
ID_NUMBER FK
DEGREE
STARTDATE
ENDDATE
INSTITUTION

etc..

I need to know how can I take these records from the tables ans export them to an Excel file where the output (Excel File) will look something like this:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ID_NUMBER | DEPARTMENT | NAME | PHONE# | DEGREE | STARTDATE | ENDDATE | INSTITUTION
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm using ASP.NET VB.NET

So please ,HELP!

My project is due next week :S

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hello,
What database platform do you want to import data your data from and into Excell?

Oracle9

While you are still online, do you have oracle connectivity configured on your ODBC data source manager?
To check this:
click Start,
click control panel,
click administartive tool,
click data sources ODBC
click system DNS (if your schemer is "system")
If you do not find the oracle driver, then you have to visit the oracle website to download the driver for your oracle 9 version.
After this, click on add on the system DNS of your data source ODBC to start configuring the connection driver.
NOTE: you will see the following:
DEscription
TNS Services
User ID
The description asks you to give the connection a statement you will use to easily identify the connction; the TNS service Name is your database IP address (127.0.0.1/1521 (1521 is the listener port number); the UserID is what you will type in the user when loggin to your oracle database.

From there, go to your excell software, click on Data from the menu bar and click on import external data.
I hope this helps a bit. If there is anyone else that can give you better instructions, I pray you find it.

You can also do this using Toad. Install Toad for Oracle and connect it to your database. Open the Schema Browser and click on the table to export. Click Data tab to see the data. Right-click the top-left conner of the table and select Save As. Enter the name and location of the excel file and click OK.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.