I keep on seeing Oracle as I delve into the world of IT. And apparently, by the looks, they no own Sun MicroSystems - IS that correct/true. So what do they do, there history, everything please.

Thankyou very much fro your help.

What do you mean by mickey take? Thanks for the link, I'll read it when I get time, I have to leave now XD

For information questions I suggest using Google.com
Search for "What is Oracle" "Oracle Definition" etc...

OK, thanks 0xCMD; but that spoils the whole point of me coming here. I'd have to sift through a plethora of rubbish before I get something useful. I can quick, accurate, concise answers here.

Member Avatar for ssherlock

To a point I agree but if you mix Wikipedia with Google you are gong to get the information a lot faster. I thought you were taking the mickey because Oracle are a huge company and almost every industry uses their database. They have been around almost since the beginning of PC's and Larry Ellison (founder) is well known for being a dick (though he's not as outspoken these days).

If you want a personal opinion Oracle are absolutely the worst thing that could have happened to Sun and I am sure they will be the death of Java (though it will take time).

If you want a personal opinion Oracle are absolutely the worst thing that could have happened to Sun and I am sure they will be the death of Java (though it will take time).

This is totally off topic but everyone I know at the university (programmers, even db pros) hates Oracle, it's too buggy and not user friendly at all, among other reasons.
There are plenty of DBMS that are way better than Orcle (i.e, MySQL, ...). The only reason Oracle is so famous is because they are trying to make a monopoly by buying other DBMS's those killing the competition, they have a lot of money spent on advertising their products the other products hardly get any advertising. The only reason I use Oracle right now is because we are obligated to use pl/sql for a project.

MySQL AB was owned by Sun Microsystems too, now owned by Oracle, so I agree this will be the end of Java and Sun Microsystems's products.

I hope I don't get banned for saying this but F$@% Oracle & M$.

Viva GNU/Linux & MySQL ; )

OK, thanks 0xCMD; but that spoils the whole point of me coming here. I'd have to sift through a plethora of rubbish before I get something useful. I can quick, accurate, concise answers here.

You will get better answers on definition questions like yours by searching Google and you don't have to wait days to get an answer. Personally I only use db forums to ask questions when I'm stuck trying to solve a query, sql problem, installation problems, etc...

I barely even know how databases work (is that what you mean when you typed db?). How do they work. May you explain how bad they are. I came here as I trust this community and I don't mind waiting days; as I get exactly what I need here. When you said 'the term' at the end what does

M$

mean? Exactly what o you mean by the term

Viva GNU/Linux & MySQL ; )

Is Oracle like Microsoft, big company (a monopoly), rubbish products. I have no choice but to use Microsoft products. I wish I was able to try Linux or Mac or Unix and there associate products.

M$ is a derogatory term for Microsoft basically because they used to coin it in (every PC sold whatever OS it ran paid a license fee for Windows).

Microsoft products are not bad and neither are Oracles - you use the right tool for the right job. Hating one company over another in the IT industry is one of the stupidest things we got drawn into to be honest (20 years in the industry teaches you that, things have changed so much and shifted so much it is impossible to forecast what will happen and how trends will shape the industry, or not).

And I'd start to love databases too if I were you as it's hard to think of any system anywhere that doesn't use them, even in the smallest of ways!

Another thing you soon learn in the business is that better doesn't always mean more successful; the banks use Oracle and DB2 a lot (Wikipedia DB2 if you're not familiar) and once 20+ years have been invested in something and your business cannot work without it then you're going to find you will be working with it long after the "better" products have arrived and then disappeared without a trace because they couldn't get a foot hold in the real world.

Andy why do you say you have to use Microsoft products (not that there's anything wrong with them at all)? - if you have your own PC or laptop partition your drive and have Linux on a partition (the Ubuntu version of Linux will do it all for you) and then you can dual boot between the two and have a play. Or download VirtualBox and run Linux in a virtual machine (VM) so you can run them both at the same time...

Wow, your really nice and very knowledgeable. I guess you've opened my eyes, I'll try my best not to love or hate companies; is it ok to have a favourite? I work with multiple computers everyday, and they're all Microsoft, even Office, except Adobe (eg. CS3). I want (and need) to try something new. A lot happens in the IT industry and sometime's a quite a fair bit to keep up with, and I normally have no trouble with keeping up with things. So I want to try new things, learn new things; I love learning and want to learn everything about computers (and need to), from building them from the Silicon/Germanium to coding the finished product in Binary. I would like to make everything - Yes make my own 3D effects program to super computers running extremely complex equations :D :)

I don't think my computer will handle Virtual Box (as its my preferred choice, as I think its the best - Correct me if I'm wrong) and I don't have much to to try out anything, so I always ask for the best and need it in detail - I'll see if I can give Ubuntu a shot. What makes it best though?

Thankyou. You have been really nice and I appreciate it.

No worries, and there is no best. VirtualBox is good but mainly free and Ubuntu is Linux and designed for ease of use. So you can dabble with Linux with a familiar-ish look and feel. Again, it is free - are you noticing a pattern here yet :)

:p Yes I am. They're all free.

Search for "What is Oracle" "Oracle Definition" etc

Or you could use Googles Definition system by typing into Google:

Define:Oracle

This will give a much better response.

First of all - Thankyou for telling me the 'define:' thing, I thought it was 'definition: example'; it explains why it didn't always work :) .

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&rlz=1C1GGGE_enAU381AU381&&sa=X&ei=UYSaTPLiI4TIvQO5oPT4BA&ved=0CAQQBSgA&q=define:+Oracle&spell=1

^^^ Didn't tell me a thing about the company ... though it did explain to me what the name means in all sorts of contexts, and clarified what I thought the meaning of the word Oracle meant and why the company chose it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.