plz... some give me the answer for this . this was asked in an interview.

The i in oracle 8i and 9i stands for INTERNET and the g in 10g and 11g stands for GRID

bucause from 10g onwards oracle supports grid architecture.

The i in oracle 8i and 9i stands for INTERNET and the g in 10g and 11g stands for GRID

bucause from 10g onwards oracle supports grid architecture.

Thank u. Your information is helpful. Both i&g versions are server side?

10g
definition -
10g is Oracle's grid computing product group including (among other things) a database management system (DBMS) and an application server. In addition to supporting grid computing features such as resource sharing and automatic load balancing, 10g products automate many database management tasks. The Real Application Cluster (RAC) component makes it possible to install a database over multiple servers.
10g follows Oracle's 9i platform. Oracle says that the g (instead of the expected i) in the name symbolizes the company's commitment to the grid model. However, according to some reports, many early adopters are deploying 10g solely for its automation features and have no immediate plans of implementing a grid environment.

Definition of: Oracle database

A relational database management system (DBMS) from Oracle, which runs on more than 80 platforms. Introduced in the late 1970s, Oracle was the first database product to run on a variety of platforms from micro to mainframe. The Oracle database is Oracle's flagship product, and version 11g was introduced in 2007.

Oracle 11g features include built-in testing for changes, the capability of viewing tables back in time, superior compression of all types of data and enhanced disaster recovery functions.

The "i" and "g" Versions
Starting in 1999 with Version 8i, Oracle added the "i" to the version name to reflect support for the Internet with its built-in Java Virtual Machine (JVM). Oracle 9i added more support for XML in 2001. In 2003, Oracle 10g was introduced with emphasis on the "g" for grid computing, which enables clusters of low-cost, industry standard servers to be treated as a single unit.

Hats off to u dude :)
this peice of information is really very helpfull....i m using oracle database from almost 3-4 yrs bt nvr knows the significance of the name :P

thanks it is realy helpful

thanx for answer it helps me in TCS interview

thanx ... i was really curious to get this answer for sometime now ... n even professional were not able to answer this question :p

Thank u..this much of info. solved my query :)

Thanks Narendra ,your answer's are so nice.It really help me.:)

heyy thanx.today my teacher ask me abt it bt i havn't any answer.actually he also havn't any idea abt it bt i ll tell him tomorrow.hehe thanx

i am a chemistry graduate and wants to go for oracle pls help me whether i can learn oracle

thanks to u... it is helpful to me and my friend

in 10g - g stands for grid computing..
in 9i i stands for internet with it's built in java virtual machine..

Hi, I'm completely new to Oracle administration. Can any one please suggest the links from where i can learn Oracle administration from basic.

Hi pritaeas

Thanks a lot. It would help me greately.

suitable defination of oracle and what is difference between oracle9i and oracle 10i

Satesh - read from the start of this discussion and you will find your answer.

Hello, i stands for internet and g stands for grid in oracle9i and oracle 10g.

great

now whats 12c then?

12 is the new version, and 'c' stands for cloud.

hi sir i would to know how to write a answer for this question
can u pls tell me.....

Write a query to display all the details of the employees whose name is at least 4 characters long

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.