I have a portal site www.localmiamiguide.com that needs to be transfered to mysql. Anyone have any idea how much that would run me? :cry:

Please advise.

Jcolome

I have worked on large scale projects using Oracle, medium sized projects using MySQL, and some small projects using Access. All have worked great for the most part. However, I have seen problems with Access and I am not impressed overall. I'm sure Access is great for small single user environments, but I wouldn't trust it with the amount of data our DBA's and Admin's handle.

Of course, we use Oracle for our largest projects. Don't get me wrong, it's great that MySQL has transaction support (finally) and should have trigger support (probably in 5.1), but for large projects I am not convinced MySQL has the scalability yet.

For desktop or a small-medium server? MySQL or PostgreSQL all the way. MySQL has come along way since previous 3.x.x. Unless you can afford a high end scalable database program, or unless you need it, I would suggest going with MySQL and NOT Access.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I have a portal site www.localmiamiguide.com that needs to be transfered to mysql. Anyone have any idea how much that would run me? :cry:

Please advise.

Jcolome

I suggest you check out Rentacoder.com. This site allows you to post various contract jobs and have different coders bid on your project. You can specify the size of the job and the maximum amount of money you are willing to spend. It also acts as a middle man between the coder you choose and the person requesting the work, effectively offering protection to both parties in the case of any arbitration.

Feel free to invite me to bid on your project after you check out the site (russosv)!

:)

Hello,

Just a friendly reminder to please avoid HiJacking someone's conversation to ask your own question and change the topic. :)

Good luck on your conversion.

Christian

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.