I am trying to do something in Filemaker Pro that I could do easily in Access with a subreport.

I have a table with the fields (student ID, subject, course number, course name, grade, CRN, semester, credits). In one section of the report, I want to list all records with the subject "BIO" which are intro courses, in another section records with the subject "BIO" which are advanced courses, etc...

In Access, I would simply do a query or filter something like this:

[Course number] In ("BIO 110","BIO 111","BIO 198","BIO 112","BIO 113")

Ideas? I am new to Filemaker Pro and this forum.

You would accomplish this in FileMaker with either sub-summaries or portals, depending on your presentation needs.

A subsummary is a part which is used to separate groups or records created by a sort order. For example, if you had millions of records of individuals' addresses and sorted by their STATE, then this naturally creates groups of records with with all the AL's together, followed by AK, AZ, etc. If you add a "subsummary by STATE" part to the layout, then this part can be used to force a page break, print headings, report subtotals for each state, etc.

A portal is a view into a table. You would use relationships to specify what filters, if any, would be applied. For your example, you might have two portals, one filtering based on basic courses, and the other filtering based on advanced.

There are other methods to accomplish what you like, but the Portal and Subsummary are probably your best starting point.

Thanks very much for the hint - I'll try it out!

You would accomplish this in FileMaker with either sub-summaries or portals, depending on your presentation needs.

A subsummary is a part which is used to separate groups or records created by a sort order. For example, if you had millions of records of individuals' addresses and sorted by their STATE, then this naturally creates groups of records with with all the AL's together, followed by AK, AZ, etc. If you add a "subsummary by STATE" part to the layout, then this part can be used to force a page break, print headings, report subtotals for each state, etc.

A portal is a view into a table. You would use relationships to specify what filters, if any, would be applied. For your example, you might have two portals, one filtering based on basic courses, and the other filtering based on advanced.

There are other methods to accomplish what you like, but the Portal and Subsummary are probably your best starting point.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.