hello all, after tried so much now posting here. i have two programs sql.php and form.jsp. i want to do insert values into mssql database from user input form. sql.php is able to insert the values into database. i have connected database using ODBC.form.jsp is able to give user input form where user can enter name.

when i submit the name it will successfully stored into the database. but if i submit the same name also it will get stored. i don't want store same name twice in the database.and it should notify the user that name already exist in the database. i can't change my database schema to unique constraint.
i need to accomplish throgh program. how to give this validation ?

sql.php

$connect = odbc_connect('SerDB','sa', 'pwd');
    echo "server connected";
     $query=("INSERT INTO namemb(name) VALUES ('$_POST[name]')");
     $result = odbc_exec($connect, $query);

form.jsp

<html>
     <head>
     <script type="text/javascript">
       function validateForm()
      {

var y=document.forms["myForm"]["name"].value;
        if (y==null || y=="")
       {
       alert("Name must be filled out");
        return false;
      }
         }
      </script>
         </head>

<body>
       <form name="myForm" action="sql.php" onsubmit="return validateForm()" 
      method="post">
          Name:<input type="text" name="name">
        <input type="submit" value="Submit">
     </form>
        </body>

</html>

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

either on DB level, you state that 'name' must be unique (tough luck for all John Smith's out there)
or, you first check whether or not the name already exists in your db, and, if so, do nothing (or give an error message, that the user knows his data is not added), and if not present yet, store it in the db

First and last impression why on earth you want to collect dat from JSP and then handle it over to PHP for DB insert. Either use JSP and servlets, or just PHP

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.