Sometimes it's just something so simple.
I have been racking my brain, searching the net, for, litterally, 6 hours. Looking to do the following.
If the user puts "this phrase" into the form field, it will send to the database "this_phrase".
Hours and hours of research, solutions using preg_replace with all sorts of regular expressions, and other regexp functions, which spit out error after error, or got me nowhere near where I wanted to be with this.

Finally, I look up str_replace and behold the pot of gold that made it ever so simple.
I am posting this for those of you who have struggled with this, in hopes that it just might save you those hours.

It was such a simple solution.

<?PHP
$name = $_POST[name];
$pagelink = str_replace(" ","_",$name);
?>

I do not know why it is, with all of the sites that talk about replacing a space with an underscore, none of them gave this, ever so simple answer. Maybe it just doesn't look as cool as all of that regular expression stuff?

Maybe I just have no google skills?
Anyway, there is a rather huge weight lifted off of my shoulders now.
Sage

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I do not know why it is, with all of the sites that talk about replacing a space with an underscore, none of them gave this, ever so simple answer.

What did you search for :P

Maybe it just doesn't look as cool as all of that regular expression stuff?

No. regular expressions are slower than string functions. Regular expressions are preferred only for complicated string matching and stuff.

Nav33
Hey bud... :-)
I can't even remember what all I searched for now...
I am not good at regular expressions anyway, lol so, I'm ok with trying to work around them.
Thanks

hi, I do not have any special PHP knowledge, so I would like someone to give me a code for this; I have a "text.txt" file on my server, which has underscores in it. I want a PHP code which replaces all the underscores with spaces and then save the txt. thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.