how to download table data from mysql table using php other than files

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

The simplest way to download table data is to use phpMyAdmin.

Matti Ressler
Suomedia

You need to give a little more information - what do you want to do with the data? Display it in a table on a web page or just make a text backup?

I want to download the data as a text fille.

Then I agree with Suomedia. I use SQLYog, though. It's a really nice query analyser type tool that you install on your local PC. It will allow you to do almost anything with your database.

www.webyog.com - there is an enterprise edition and a freebie community edition.

I would like to know whether all the data in the database/table can be available in a text file without the sql queries in it...

Yes. If you use phpmyadmin you will see it as export options in many formats. One that I commonly use is CSV.

Matti Ressler
Suomedia

is it possible using PHP code. because I want the user to download the data from the database as a text file. The concept is, user can enter some data in the database and whenever they wants, they could download it as a text file.

Yes, of course it can be done with php. Its quite a bit of code which I don't have the time for, but I am sure somebody else probably will. The web is full of tutorials on how to do this.

Matti Ressler
Suomedia

For future reference for others, this will download as *.csv file. You may change file type and HEADER types, for *.txt

I do not use (or download) any *.txt, so I have not reseached modifying.

<?php
$host = 'localhost';
$user = 'dbUsername';
$pass = 'dbPassword';
$db = 'dbName';
$table = 'dbTable';
$file = 'export';

$link = mysql_connect($host, $user, $pass) or die("Can not connect." . mysql_error());
mysql_select_db($db) or die("Can not connect.");

$result = mysql_query("SHOW COLUMNS FROM ".$table."");
$i = 0;
if (mysql_num_rows($result) > 0) {
while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result)) {
$csv_output .= $row['Field']."; ";
$i++;
}
}
$csv_output .= "\n";

$values = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM ".$table."");
while ($rowr = mysql_fetch_row($values)) {
for ($j=0;$j<$i;$j++) {
$csv_output .= $rowr[$j]."; ";
}
$csv_output .= "\n";
}

$filename = $file."_".date("Y-m-d_H-i",time());
header("Content-type: application/vnd.ms-excel");
header("Content-disposition: csv" . date("Y-m-d") . ".csv");
header( "Content-disposition: filename=".$filename.".csv");
print $csv_output;
exit;
?>
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.