hi
i have some file in my ftp.now i am saving my file in a folder.please tell me how to refer the file outside the folder.
eg require_once('../common/dblayer.php');
the above is to refer a file inside a folder.how do the same for outside a folder

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

What do you meen by saing "Outside of the folder". Because the example you gave shows everything you need to know to include/require a file. The ../ goes up one directory then the common/ goes down to the common directory then opens the dblayer.php.
That simple. So is there anything I am missing?

from dblayer.php i want to refer a file which is outside common.

in our server all files are stored in public_html
in that I HAVE MANY FILES AND FOLDERS.common is one among them.now from common i want to refer a file in public_html

public_html is my main directory

to refer a file

That's the bit I don't exactly understand because I speak australian and to me would seem like to program one file to give another file directions to a location.
So say your file structure was the following:

public_html
    - folder1
    - common
    - folder3

Then to get from common the index.php in public_html you would use the following:

include("../index.php");

Is that what you are talking about or have I misunderstood again.

ya u r right.wat i am asking is

public_html(xyz.php)
- folder1
- common (dblayer.php)
- folder3
my dblayer.php is inside common.i have file which are in public_html but they are not in any folder .in that case how will u refer a file in main directory

thanks its working

In your dblayer.php, echo current working directory. Depending on which directory you are in, you can use ../ to go back one step to previous directory, ../../ to go back 2 steps and so on..
ie., If the file is in public_html/common/dblayer.php , using ../ will take you to the folder common and ../../ will take you to public_html :)
Your question raises more questions than answers !

Warning: include_once(./common/dblayer.php) [function.include-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home1/careergl/public_html/converters.php on line 8

Warning: include_once() [function.include]: Failed opening './common/dblayer.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home1/careergl/public_html/converters.php on line 8

Warning: include_once(./common/dblayer.php) [function.include-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home1/careergl/public_html/converters.php on line 8

Warning: include_once() [function.include]: Failed opening './common/dblayer.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home1/careergl/public_html/converters.php on line 8

1. filenames are quoted include_once('./common/dblayer.php');
  2. count the dots . and .. are not the same
  3. Ensure the file is where you think it is relative to the calling file
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.