Hello everyone,
I'm new to PHP and having a very basic problem of instaling the web server correctly.
Now,I tried to run PHP 5.2.9 ,
The instalation program asked me to choose a web server and for not having much understanding in this I chose apache 2.

The problem was that the instalation didn't found some ini DLL and said I have to adjust the web server manualy(I'm not sure whether I even had it instaled or not).
When I try to run PHP it also says it can't find some OCL DLL.
I used the instalation pack from the following site:
http://www.php.net/downloads.php

is it any good?
does it include the web server or I have to install it separatley(and what web server would be good for me?)?

And also,can anyone please direct me to a simple php instalation that will allow me to run php pages so I can follow the tutorial and progress in php programing(some "PHP instalation for begginer dummies" would be great)?

For technical data:
I work on Windows XP,the computer is celeron 633MHZ.

Thank you,
A.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

For a quick all-in-one installation, I'd recommend WampServer or XAMPP.

either download wamp or xampp
they come backed with everything

or you have to install it one by one
apache
pear
php
mysql
and all those good things one by one

Member Avatar for diafol

I'll second that (sorry, third that) - XAMPP is my dl of choice. As an extra 'goodie', download the community version of SQLyog from webyog to give MySQL a nice GUI (easier than phpMyAdmin).

Thank you everyone!

A.

As an alternative to that (albeit, a rather radical one), you could try setting up a Linux system! :D
Ubuntu is good.

Setting up Apache with PHP on Ubuntu is as simple as opening up a terminal and typing: $ sudo apt-get install apache2 php5 There is also a GUI package manager that you could use instead, if your not into using a terminal ;)

How I can post variable vaue to update.php page
In Form.php

<form action="update.php" method="post">
<input type="text" name="siteid" value="<?= $b ?>" />
<input type="submit" name="subjoin" value="Update">
</form>

in update page how I show the value of site id. I am using post method. but field value is variable($b) so how I can I post the value to next page?
In update.php

$c = $_post["$b"]; 
echo $c; //its not working.

Thanks in advance

commented: Don't post on other threads unless you are wanting to help. Use your own. -1
Member Avatar for diafol

Start your own thread - don't hijack somebody else's.

just install wamp server.

its a combination of apache,mysql,php.
very easy to install.

have fun.

Hey everyone,I instaled XAMPP as you adviced me,
and tried to create a page with the following text:

<html>
<body>

<?php
echo "Hello World";
?>

</body>
</html>

I saved the file with the ending .php but it seems it doesn't work,
when I try to open it with Firefox it just gives me a blank page,
when I try to open it with Internet explorer it downloads the file as if it was from the internet and then ironically opens it with Firefox
and I have a blank page again..
So how do I activate the php script I wrote(sorry for the idiotic question,but I'm not sure what I suppose to do)?

hi
if your Apache services is not started then you need to start services from xampp controll panel ok
and make sure that your all php file save in yourpath/xampp/htdocs
son now you can access your file from browser as

http://localhost/index.php

or if you have create your own folder in htdocs then you need to run your file as this way

http://localhost/mysite/index.php

Thnaks

Member Avatar for diafol

As an extra - and I have to thank Airshow (the user) for this info. I've found that using folders in htdocs on the localhost is a real pain when you come to upload to a remote server. Because you're referencing the root directory on localhost as:

http:// localhost/mysite

you have to absolute reference like this: <link href="/mysite/css/main.css" .... />

but the remote site absolute reference would be this: <link href="/css/main.css" .... />

The way to avoid problems is to add some data to two files:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts\

**add a site called whatever you want (I use the .local to remind me it's my localhost)**

127.0.0.1 cyfieithu.local

Then I add something like the following to C:\xampp\apache\conf\extra\httpd-vhosts.conf

<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1>
   DocumentRoot C:\xampp\htdocs\cyfieithu
   ServerName cyfieithu.local
</VirtualHost>

I then stop Apache and restart (Use the xampp control panel).

Now you can absolutely reference with '/' for local and remote sites.

BUT
I've found that I need to have a connection to the internet to view local sites. Bit strange, but may be a problem on my set up. It doesn't really affect me that much.

[...]C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts\

**add a site called whatever you want (I use the .local to remind me it's my localhost)**

127.0.0.1 cyfieithu.local

On Linux (Ubuntu, anyways), the same thing would be done using the /etc/hosts file.
(Anybody else seeing the odd similarity here?)

I succeded,thank you everyone again!

A.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.