Hi and I am planning to make a bunch of tutorials. I would like to hear what sort of php/ajax tutorials people would like to see. I have heard in the past that some noobs would like a tutorial on making a blog. What else should I write tutorials about which you would enjoy reading/using?

Recommended Answers

All 107 Replies

A few suggestions:

- How to debug your code
- How do you use an include() and how do you acces files beneath the webroot?
- How do you secure your site, what techniques can be used and what shouldn't you do.
- When should you use sprintf(), printf(), print(), echo() and how do you use them (%f,%d etc. and wether you should use single quotes(') or double quotes("))

~G

I have just created a include()/require() tutorial and a blog tutorial so are there any more suggestions for what yous would like to learn?

How about a tutorial on pagination (this question has been asked n number of times) , carts, htaccess, image handling, regular expressions, ...

commented: great suggestions +4

How about a tutorial on pagination (this question has been asked n number of times) , carts, htaccess, image handling, regular expressions, ...

Wow, those are excellent suggestions. I will start them as soon as possible and I think the charts tutorial will be interesting as I have made php charts once before but haven't really used them.
Rep points added!

Great! That would solve around 80% of the question asked by the members! Good luck..

How about:
A. You make an RSS feed
and B. you parse it! (w/ simplexml probably )

When I was a noob, that gave me sooo many problems.

i would say the awsomeness and many uses of echo
would be a good tutorial
because i remember when i started out i though
you had to echo each thing and its was a pain
till i learned the better way

Member Avatar for diafol

How about an intro to OOP - preferably without the 'everyday examples', perhaps something linked to login/members/profiles? I realize that's a biggie.

The thing that always gets me is regex. I $/.~ing hate it 'coz I can't get my head around it.

How about an intro to OOP - preferably without the 'everyday examples', perhaps something linked to login/members/profiles? I realize that's a biggie.

The thing that always gets me is regex. I $/.~ing hate it 'coz I can't get my head around it.

There's really no better tutorial for regular expressions that http://regular-expressions.info

A few suggestions:

- How to debug your code
- How do you use an include() and how do you acces files beneath the webroot?
- How do you secure your site, what techniques can be used and what shouldn't you do.
- When should you use sprintf(), printf(), print(), echo() and how do you use them (%f,%d etc. and wether you should use single quotes(') or double quotes("))

~G

I think a tutorial on best proctices on how to secure your site. IE. login and authentication on each page would be nice. Im sure alot of people will make good use of that.

I think a tutorial on best proctices on how to secure your site. IE. login and authentication on each page would be nice. Im sure alot of people will make good use of that.

Apologies, I have since looked and can see you have covered that.

Great site!

How about a tutorial on how to plug in and turn on a computer? and while we at it reset and shut down a computer.
This would optimize 50% of my work time with users of the network!!!

Sorry boys had to add it in, just quite true and hilarious still in this day and age like the TV Show the IT Crowd.

Haha

PS: cwarn32 are these tutorials able to be viewed by us via youtube, etc? Thanks.

PS: cwarn32 are these tutorials able to be viewed by us via youtube, etc? Thanks.

Now that's an idea. I was planning to add them to my website and submit the best ones to daniweb but I now that you mention it I will make youtube videos too.

Member Avatar for diafol

"My God, he's taking over the World"

:)

"My God, he's taking over the World"

:)

:twisted: Indeed

Let me know when the 18+ movies come out :D

Whats your website? youtube? etc? Thanks.

A tutorial on how to create your first PHP page. A single step by step, that would be the easiest way to start a total noob on PHP.

Does anyone know of a Ubuntu ogv to (avi or wmv) file converter. If such converter does not exist then are there any desktop record utilities for windows that record both part of the screen that I select and record the microphone at the same time for free? Just needs one of those two programs to be able to finish the first video tutorial. Thanks.

Lots of noobs have trouble connecting to a MySQL database and running queries, displaying results etc.

Another good tutorial might describe the differences between the popular browsers such as IE, FF, Safari, Chrome etc. All good web developers need to know what to expect, but too many only focus on their favourite browser.

Try Debut Video Capture Software. It was free and did more than I expected it too.

In the tutorials, make sure you are using proper practices. I don't want to watch them and then see stuff that is wrong.

Does anyone know of a Ubuntu ogv to (avi or wmv) file converter. If such converter does not exist then are there any desktop record utilities for windows that record both part of the screen that I select and record the microphone at the same time for free? Just needs one of those two programs to be able to finish the first video tutorial. Thanks.

For transcoding media files you're best bet is FFMpeg, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FFmpeg

You can invoke it from the command line. If you want a graphical interface, VLC is also Open Source and uses FFMpeg internally.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

For recording try camstudio: http://camstudio.org/

Try Debut Video Capture Software. It was free and did more than I expected it too.

In the tutorials, make sure you are using proper practices. I don't want to watch them and then see stuff that is wrong.

I just tried the video capture and the other tools they have, that is some really good stuff. Thanks for recommending it.

Btw, the link is:
http://www.nchsoftware.com/

I just installed Debut Video Capture and although it works great it won't detect my microphone. Is there something I am missing because attached is the options I used and I tried every combination. I can see that if this software can recognize my microphone it will truly be the best but is useless without audio. Also windows is able to recognise my microphone because when I speak into the microphone I can hear myself in the speakers so it must be just something with the program that I do not yet understand. Please help me to make this program recognize my microphone. Thanks.

O' Now I've got it working. Turned out I needed to set the sound device to default sound device and the sound input to stereo mix. In addition the manual said to disable or mute devices that are not being used. Always good to RTFM. lol Now I have a lot of recordings to begin. Will let you know how it goes.

Youtube videos maximum 10 minutes. WHAT!!! Can't they be any longer. Looks like I might need to host these videos myself. Does anybody know if that is 100% true that youtube videos cannot exceed 10 minutes as I am waiting for youtube to process my video although when trying to play it is says can't display due to the length.

Youtube videos maximum 10 minutes. WHAT!!! Can't they be any longer. Looks like I might need to host these videos myself. Does anybody know if that is 100% true that youtube videos cannot exceed 10 minutes as I am waiting for youtube to process my video although when trying to play it is says can't display due to the length.

I remember reading about that limit. I think you're pretty much bound by it.

Does anybody know of a good php video cms to store my tutorials in?

Why not just make one? A simple cms for videos would only take a few hours.

Member Avatar for diafol

Vimeo is good for hosting vids (free and paid versions), can't remember if they've got a time limit though.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.