I am building a website that needs to have a facebook connect, login page, blog page, and a photo page that allows the user to upload photos. This is not my site but I am desinging it and need help with the above. I am using DreamWeaver CS3 as the designer. Any information about the language/programs to use to accomplish this would be very helpful. Thank you in advance for the assistance.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

The programs you require are notepad++ which is a great text editor with a syntax highlighter and for testing use wamp localhost server. Also for java apps netbeans is an easy to use app maker. As for which languages you require they are javascript, java, php, ajax, html and css.

I have taken a java class and had much trouble with it bearly passing. I do have netbeans and like it, have heard good things about notpad++ from another instructor. I am using some php for the login and database managment for the members, html and css are being used for the other pages that do not require membership. What would Java, ajax, and javascript be used for? I believe javascript would be used in conjuction with the php for the login security, would this be a correct assumption?

Javascript and ajax are mixed together in the same script so basically javascript allows for user interaction for things like menus, validating client side, where as ajax is a lot like javascript but allows server interaction with javascript. As for Java, you would use java for things like the login form, forms that need to be secure, chat boxes and anything that is really really fancy as Java can also interact with the server. Also you will find with netbeans that there is an option where you can use drag and drop commands to create the interface. Even for applets.

I am building a website that needs to have a facebook connect, login page, blog page, and a photo page that allows the user to upload photos. This is not my site but I am desinging it and need help with the above. I am using DreamWeaver CS3 as the designer. Any information about the language/programs to use to accomplish this would be very helpful. Thank you in advance for the assistance.

Dream weaver is the best for what your trying to accomplish. But im getting my BA in web design and i still haven't learned what your trying to do. I learned it by watching youtube videos.

1. Once your site is complete you would go on facebook and connect it your site. Then on your site make a link that directs to your facebook page < a href http://............

2. Making a login page you
A. website domain name
B. hosting server
C. On the serve they have to Mysql Database and Mysql Admin
you have to design a database to store your members info. But the code language your going to write this in dreamweaver is call PHP.
I suggest you watch youtube video because this is really advance stuff if your a beginner.

3. you can design a blog page for free at wordpress.com

4. Uploading images to a website again you would do this with mysql database - mysql admin -php language

Youtub Youtube that's how i learned and im ahead of my class.
they have all of these tutorials.

Member Avatar for diafol

If you're going to use FBconnect, you will be using js and php. As these are usually prepacked snippets, it doesn't need a degree in rocket science to use them.
Unless you want to use Java (which I totally don't get - AT ALL), php/mysql may be the way to go - there are loads of free scripts out there.

PHP will also deal with uploads. Additional image data held in MySQL would be advantageous.

Ajax is an optional (usually js + php - but a few variations on this). You don't really need it, but it's flavour of the month at the moment. To be fair, I quite like it, but it can be used inappropriately and cn slooow your site considerably if not implemented correctly.

A solid IDE is a must. I used to use Dreamweaver before using Notepad++. I've used Aptana and Netbeans. Believe it or not, I've gone back to Dreamweaver (MX2004!) - just seems easier for small projects.

Guys thank you so much for all of the input. I will be back in the office on Monday to begin implementation of the site to the server and then adding in all of the information that has been given to me through this site and emails. I am still open for more informaiton.

Thank you again,
TexITTech
AAIT University of Phoenix 2010

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.