Hi!
I'm currently using Dreamweaver as my code editor for web development but I'm considering using open source applications instead. I've always supported open source development and let's face it, Adobe's programs costs a whole lot.

So I read about using Eclipse for web development and did some searching and I found this blog entry. Honestly I got scared of what I might get myself into, just to be having an alternative to dreamweaver. Is there anyone using Eclipse for PHP, HTML and JavaScript who can give me their opinion about the program? Or is there a better alternative? Netbeans maybe?

Please post your opinions and what you yourself are using!

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

+1 for netbeans. It have never frustrated me.

I have started using Eclipse for PHP development and like it a lot, once I got used to the quirks of it (as any IDE will have).

I haven't tried netbeans yet but I'm downloading it now. I've never liked how eclipse marks the code, all html tags are the same color, DW has an unique color for all the tags which makes it really easy to read the code. Is there a plugin that fixes that and makes it easier to read?

From the screenshots it looks like it is about the same as normal. The tags have all the same color and only the attributes have another color. But maybe it's an old screen pic, have you used it yourself?

No, just did a quick search. I misunderstood your confusion. You want the <P> tags to be a different color than the <DIV> tags you mean? That would annoy me, personally... ;-)

It would? The way DW marks the code is so much easier for checking for errors and understanding other peoples code :)

I tried out netbeans last night and I was amazed! I had never expected that from an open-source program. I've decided to use that for all my web projects (and java) instead of DW. Everything is much more customizable it is really user friendly! I like it a lot!

Member Avatar for rajarajan2017

Eclipse and net beans are a good one too, but mostly utilizing the java technologies. Initially it looks scared about the environment but after you get work with that for a long time. you love it. But dreamweaver is the one everybody using now for webdesigning, you can also give a try to FlashDevlop.

Thanks but I always code everything and never use any of DW's built in code functions so I think I will stay with Netbeans now :D

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.