I have somehow corrupted the search facility, probably the most important page on my website and have absolutely no knowledge of php at all. I have gone through the code and read some forum advice in case it was something simple, but just cannot see what is wrong. I also looked on Google's cache ( http://www.hotpropertyturkey.net/en/akelos/search ) but the code is different.

The people that made the php pages initially have gone into liquidation and will no longer support the site and I have no idea what to do, so would be really grateful if someone here could help me spot and repair the error.

The error I am getting is:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<', expecting ',' or ';' in /home/hotpynet/public_html/public/php/en_search.php on line 25 - but line 25 appears to be just text, not code.

The code for the page is:
<?php

$form = new akelos_forms();

$form->count_existing = FALSE;

$form->add_form_field("tipo_operacion","checkbox");
$form->add_form_field("tipos_de_ventas","checkbox");
$form->add_form_field("region","checkbox");
$form->add_form_field("city_town","checkbox");
$form->add_form_field("tipo_propiedad","checkbox");
$form->add_form_field("precio","precio_md_min_max");
$form->add_form_field("bedrooms","numero_min_max");
$form->add_form_field("bathrooms","numero_min_max");
//$form->add_form_field("pool","select_multiple");
//$form->add_form_field("area","select_multiple");

$form->recursive_fields = array("tipo_operacion","tipos_de_ventas","region","city_town","tipo_propiedad");
$form->build_recursive_form(array("ilayer_search",$config[cms_tech_url_search_results]));

$search_mode_link = "<br/><a href='[:url:]/$config[cms_tech_url_property_search]/'>Click here to switch to simple property search</a>";

echo <h1>Advanced Property Search</h1>
<p><font size="2" face="Tahoma">Use the form below to search for your ideal property in Turkey. You do not have to choose from each category, but the more information you input, the more chance of finding property that fits all your requirements. </font></p><p><font size="2" face="Tahoma"><b>Search Notes:</b> Provinces on the Aegean coast include:<br>
<b>Aydin</b> (Izmir, Altinkum, Didim, Kusadasi ) and <b>Mugla</b> (Altinkum, Bodrum, Dalaman, Dalyan, Fethiye, and Marmaris). The Mediterranean Province of <b>Antalya</b> includes the areas of Alanya, Avsallar, Side, Belek, Finike, Kemer, Kas/Kalkan, Manavgat, and Serik. </font> </p><div id="search_by_ref">
<form action="http://www.hotpropertyturkey.net/en/akelos/search_results" method="_GET">
Reference No. <input name="ref" type="text" />
<input type="submit" value="Search by reference" />
</form>
</div><br/>".$form->form
."<p><font size="2" face="Tahoma">If you are unable to find what
you are looking for, please send us your requirements and we will endeavour
to find the right property for you. We do have properties that are not yet
on the website, and our team based in Turkey have excellent knowledge of
the areas and properties so will be able to send details of other developements
or resales that suit your needs. <a href="[:url:]/enquiry_form">Submit Details
&gt;&gt;</a></font></p><br>";

?>

Really look forward to some advice - Debbie

I realize that you're new to this but if you need to do this again, you should enclose the code in

tags as it provides a better listing to work with.

There is a problem in the code so you need to consider what was changed and why. There is an obvious problem (that I have pointed out below) but there could have been other changes that aren't causing an obvious PHP error but may still result in it not working correctly. If you don't have a backup of the code before the changes, then you also have to look at how you are managing this program / system. It seems that you need to find someone else to provide you with support and maintenance.

You will notice that there is an echo statement about halfway down the listing. This needs to have an open quote before the string that is to be displayed. At the end of the string it needs to have a closing quote. It looks as if the closing (double) quote is at the end of the very last line: (&gt;&gt;</a></font></p><br>";). The problem is that the text in between also contains some double quotes. The easiest solution based on what I am seeing would be to use opening and closing single quotes. Thus, change the line with the echo to look like:
[CODE=php]
  echo '<h1>Advanced Property Search</h1>

and then to change the last line to finish with a single quote:

&gt;&gt;</a></font></p><br>';

That will get rid of the error message and it will hopefully get the program running again.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.