Not sure if this is the right place to post this. I've built a number of websites but have just now been asked to provide a password protected page that allows different customers FTP access to download files.

I feel dumb. Having never done anything like this before. Obviously I have to get an ftp account from the hosting provider (not me) but it would be great if someone could outline the dummies version (for me) for setting something like this up. Does this require multiple FTP accounts ? What could I expect from the host and what should I be providing ?

Thanx !

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Now, do you just want certain people to be able get access to a folder where they can download files?

At the moment I don't know. Just trying to prepare for a meeting with the client. So the options could be:
1) Different customers, with different logins, who will have access to the same folder, or
2) Different customers, with different logins, who will each have access to a folder specifically for them.
Info on either or both would help !

have just now been asked to provide a password protected page that allows different customers FTP access to download files.

These two statements actually contradict each other. Do you want FTP access, or do you want a password protected webpage where they can download/upload files? I think the one requesting this may not know what FTP is. Before you answer him, let him make very clear what it is he wants. I have a feeling he wants the latter.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.