Hey guys, need your help, I need to learn PHP real fast and implement it soon..but I never developed anything on the web using a server..and I'm lost with all the stuff I need to download to create a PHP development environment (so I can run the script on my computer until I get a real server)
can someone please give me a step by step guide? I know I need a web server, php, and Mysql database server, but where and how to get it?
ps. I'm using Win 7.

thanks

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Download XAMPP and Notepad++. Read the documentation and you should pick it up.

This is a website I used to learn some concepts. They were kinda a long at times but thorough enough to follow as a beginner, not sure what you background is yet. Depending on what you need I have quiet a few bookmarks and notes from my learning adventures. Hope that helps
http://www.olate.co.uk/articles/category/3

This is a website I used to learn some concepts. They were kinda a long at times but thorough enough to follow as a beginner, not sure what you background is yet. Depending on what you need I have quiet a few bookmarks and notes from my learning adventures. Hope that helps
http://www.olate.co.uk/articles/category/3

background? C, Java, C#, worked with SQL Server, I know some HTML, CSS, JavaScript..
I've got a book about PHP, the problem I'm having is how to run the code from the book without a real server, they wrote that I need to download some stuff that I mantioned in my 1st post, but all the links they provided are bad and outdated..

Wamp Server is another all-in-one install option.

Member Avatar for diafol

XAMPP (great all-in-one).
Aptana 3 for a coding IDE, or use Notepad++
Filezilla Client for FTP
SQLyog Community version - GUI for MySQL database - easier than phpMyAdmin

All of the above are free to use.
I suggest getting a cheap hosting package (e.g. justhost or similar) so you can test online.
If you're familiar with web programming, I won't need to tell you to get every browser installed as well.

ok I'm starting the XAMPP (whatever that thing is) installation..
the installation wizard gives me some options and I don't know if to check the checkboxes or not..that's what I have->

SERVICE SECTION:
-install Apache as service
-install MySql as service
-install Filezilla as service

should I leave those unchecked? I don't know what it means and if I need it..

ok guys, I installed the XAMPP, but not sure what to do with it..
I clicked the Apache, MySql, FileZilla to start as Svc..
put my html and php files in C:\xampp\htdocs\ forlder..
my the php file doesn't show the html page like it should..when I run it it opens a File Download window like it did before I installed anything..

what am I doing wrong here?

Did you follow the instructions to that link that I sent you. It shows you how to set it up and then go to http://localhost:portNumber (usually 8888 or something I think; sorry I'm at work and can't verify from my machine).

Member Avatar for diafol

There is documentation to go with the installation. Some to do with security. Read it thoroughly. You may even need to change your system32/drivers/etc/hosts and vconf files to set up multiple websites on localhost. Search for this on DW.

To start, you don't need FileZilla or Mail Servers, just Apache and MySQL servers.

Yes you need all of them.

ok guys, I installed the XAMPP, but not sure what to do with it..
I clicked the Apache, MySql, FileZilla to start as Svc..
put my html and php files in C:\xampp\htdocs\ forlder..
my the php file doesn't show the html page like it should..when I run it it opens a File Download window like it did before I installed anything..

what am I doing wrong here?

Probably lots. I'm not trying to be rude but how technical are you? If you are a real newbie, you're in for an exciting adventure.

Read a lot, everything is simple when it works. You could start now and might be done in a month or you could have everything running by default in a 1/2 hour.

Member Avatar for diafol

> Yes you need all of them.

Apache and MySQL will do to get you started. Just switch on the other two servers if / when you need them. Pointless having all that overhead and no use.

http://localhost/index.php

should give you the happy xampp page.

If not, ensure than Apache is actually running.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.