Hello I wanted to compete with myspace.com because they are monopolizing the computing industry, and I am indeed jealous.
I wanted to know if anyone here knows a lot about database programming, and can help me learn how to program something that has the looks and feels of myspace in its entirety. I know this is a lot to ask for, but I thought I might just go on and ask, because I have nothing to lose, and I do believe someone is out there who can help me. I am a very good marketer and I know I can take myspace.com down the drain if I get help from the right person.

So basically I wanted to know if someone can instruct/teach/show me me over Aol Instant Messenger, My screen name is: [CHINCHASTE]
How to program something exactly like myspace (not including their logo/and branding)
I will do my own graphics. I am well versed in HTML and designing, I'm just not good with the programming aspect.

I AM WILLING TO PAY through paypal whoever can help me, but whoever can help me for free would make me happier and I will over much more than money can buy in the long run. I understand this is a ridiculous post, but I thought there might be a miracle.

Please contact me through e-mail at: chinchaste@yahoo.com
or at AOL MESSENGER @ CHINCHASTE

I also have a phone number I can provide if anyone is really interested in helping me.

Recommended Answers

All 40 Replies

no offense, but i dont think anyone has a chance against myspace. many have been trying but not with much if any success. I think your wasting your time trying to do this.

I am positive I can make it happen. I have a great big mouth, I can sell Raid to an Ant. Personally I can market it better than them. I am hungry for this. Please help me.

I think you are focusing your energy on the wrong plan. A site like myspace doesn't get coded in a week and learning how to code doesn't happen in a week either.

If you are truly that confident on your persuassion skills, why not associate yourself with one of the dozens of sites already on the same boat as you and work on marketing any of those sites.

I'm already working on a similar project myself because I hate myspace with a passion. Frankly, I don't understand how myspace has become so popular. I have never seen a website with so many broken "features" that don't even stay consistent among other users. I'm still designing the structure of mine, drawing all those UML diagrams I hated in school but did indeed become handy occationally.

I will pay money through paypal if anyone can teach me. Please. I earnestly beg you. I want to take them down.

On "attack of the show" of G4 tv last night, they talked about myspace and how its become the dominant in that market, yet how poor it really is when compared to competitors. So why does everyone still use it? Noone knows.

Even if you have the money to develop a site and maintain campaigns to promote it (sorry, bu I doubt it) I don't think you can start a company based on jealousy and competition as your main source of power to make it hapen.

What you're asking for help developing is feasable to code. However, it would most likely take dozens to hundreds of hours and a lot of experience in a back-end web development language such as PHP. Certainly not something someone could explain to you over AOL Instant Messenger reasonably.

If you are serious about this, delve into a programming language such as PHP, ColdFusion, ASP.NET, etc. Try coding a small project at first. With time and dedication, you'll be able to achieve your goals. Good luck!

Hey, I want to write a Word Processor to compete with Microsoft and put Microsoft Office out of business. Can somebody show me how to do that? ;) JUST KIDDING!

Hey, I want to write a Word Processor to compete with Microsoft and put Microsoft Office out of business. Can somebody show me how to do that? ;) JUST KIDDING!

I tried that once. So far I'm the only one using my text editor. :(

Can anyone teach me how to code a Login system like myspace? Where you have to login with your email and password.

Can anyone teach me over aol instant messenger?
Thanks.
My screen name is chinchaste

Thanks to any geniuses that can help me.

You need to start with programming 101. Having somebody teach you how to program a database-driven account login application via instant messaging is NOT a place to start.

You will need a webserver, a database server, a programming language or two, and proficiency in all the above. One of your first tasks is to choose which architecture you want to learn. Do you want to do things the Microsoft way using Windows, IIS, ASP.NET, C#, SQL Server? Or would you rather use Linux, Apache, PHP, and MySql. Perhaps you want to use Solaris, Tomcat, and Java? Perhaps some combination of the above?

As a newbie wanting to get into building data-driven web applications, I strongly recommend PHP and MySql. I come from the Microsoft way and am an expert ASP/SQL Server developer so I know a little about what I'm talking about. I don't know anything about Tomcat or Java so I can't say although it's safe to say that Java is definitely not a beginner's programming language or for the faint of heart.

If, after your own research, you decide PHP is your choice, head over to http://www.php.net/tut.php and start the journey. This tutorial will teach you a lot. It will teach you that you need a webserver that is configured to process PHP scripts. If you use a Windows computer at home like most people, then I recommend you install Apache Webserver on your computer then install PHP and configure Apache to load the PHP module. Then install MySql and setup a database to work with. If that sounds difficult and confusing, well, it is--when you are starting out. That's why I'm trying to tell you that you have a LONG way to go and a few hours of instant messaging aint gonna get you where you want to be.

START with the PHP beginner tutorials to get oriented. Then you may find my WAMP HOWTO to be useful. WAMP stands for Windows, Apache, MySql, and PHP. Those four pillars create the foundation for building about any Internet application you can dream up.

Once you learn this stuff and you are ready to launch a website into production for thousands of users, I recommend you use Linux as your webserver. No need to debate that topic in this thread (PLEASE), but research a little and you will figure out why I recommend this.

I wish you success on your journey. It is a rewarding journey for those with enough self-discipline to master the art.

Troy what is your instant messenger?

I give up!

Can anyone teach me how to code a Login system like myspace? Where you have to login with your email and password.

Can anyone teach me over aol instant messenger?
Thanks.
My screen name is chinchaste

Thanks to any geniuses that can help me.

The best way is to Download VWD Express(Visual Web Developer) by: MS...Then you can use teh asp configuration tool to setup accounts and privilages etc... and a default ASPNETDB.MDF file gets created for you to handle Memberships/Roles etc...as well as editing the .config file for you...With VWD you can design lots of great things through drag 'n' drop...

-william

I'm working on a social networking site (like MySpace) @ http://www.buddyin.com -- trying to add some light AJAX stuff (since I just recently fell in love with AJAX)

If you offer the right amount of money I could sell this to you.

I've been thinking lately about this . . . It seems that there are few decent competitors with myspace . . .of course there's LJ and xanga and blogger, but that myspace gives that generation of (excuse the phrase) "cam whores" so much room to flaunt is probably the reason it's the big player.

I only recently opened a myspace.com account because my friends from my college town had; I had not seen them in awhile and wanted to catch up. They're all gung-ho about it. I find it tacky: large macromedia flash-player advertisements at the top of blogs, the "catch George Clooney and give him a kiss!" type of ads (I love firefox adblock), poor-quality piped music streams, lots of low-resolution photos.

The name is the big thing. "myspace.com" is simple for simple minds, memorable and such. Most people expect the "dot com" likewise a short < 8 character prefix. Finding something equally as memorable or "catchy" should be your aim if you seek to compete on a serious level w/"myspace.com".

I'm currently working on a way to compete with Qwest.

They charge me almost $50.00 per month and don't even know how to answer my questions when I call them (when my DSL is not working) because I use Linux! So much for the supposed "spirit of service" schpiel.

But I digress. . .

~indie

Well I am also planning to compete MySpace.com
I have domain name for that as well.

I have a team of professional who can do programming for me. I am just looking to adjust my schedule and planning budget so that I can come up with a better script in near future.

But believe myspace is big very big right now. This is going to be step by step procedure. SO I am getting ready to take over with this domain http://zillx.com nothing has been published here just a dummy script right now. Not related to myspace like portal

If you want to pull myspace customers away, be sure to keep at least the same features and similar functionality, people hate learning new stuff. I'm willing to help anyone spread the word about their new site if it's intended to compete with myspace. I don't believe you need to start with a great site to attract people, but you need a stable one to keep them from leaving for something else. Myspace obviously has no stability whatsoever, and so if you can show people they can have the same fun but without the headaches......

AOL is taking the right move

I can see a billion dollar baby for AOL :-|

I can see this working out great for aol as well. Just amagine the possibility of what they will do with it. They already own the instant messing world, and linking profiles with your aol myspace, or maybe replacing your aol instant messenger profile with your aol myspace...The possbility for success is inevitable.

Will myspace dissapear? No. But will it lose members and slow down down its craze. Yes.

Hello I wanted to compete with myspace.com because they are monopolizing the computing industry, and I am indeed jealous.
I wanted to know if anyone here knows a lot about database programming, and can help me learn how to program something that has the looks and feels of myspace in its entirety. I know this is a lot to ask for, but I thought I might just go on and ask, because I have nothing to lose, and I do believe someone is out there who can help me. I am a very good marketer and I know I can take myspace.com down the drain if I get help from the right person.

So basically I wanted to know if someone can instruct/teach/show me me over Aol Instant Messenger, My screen name is: [CHINCHASTE]
How to program something exactly like myspace (not including their logo/and branding)
I will do my own graphics. I am well versed in HTML and designing, I'm just not good with the programming aspect.

I AM WILLING TO PAY through paypal whoever can help me, but whoever can help me for free would make me happier and I will over much more than money can buy in the long run. I understand this is a ridiculous post, but I thought there might be a miracle.

I also have a phone number I can provide if anyone is really interested in helping me.

learn to walk before you can run.

and try to come up with something original. copying something that nearly everyone who uses the internet has heard of and trying to beat them at it.. its not going to happen unless you can do something better, faster, cooler, cheaper.

you have to remember that most myspace users arent the sharpest tools in the shed. its popular with people who don't know much about the internet - basically the unwashed masses. pretty much everyone's myspace page i've been linked to has made my browser cry. do i want to her linkin park and see pictures of someone being emo and taking pictures of themselves from stupid angles while pulling stupid faces?

hi-i am in a band and we got signed thanks to purevolume...i hate myspace and if you wont to compete you have to spend big cash and offer something myspace and purevolume dont....email me at brokenheadboy@gmail.com if you want some contacty info about my indie label "ephedrine records" maybe you could team up and offer fullreviews by my recod company for the first 100 members.....

Unless you're a big company aready like Microsoft, AOL, Cox, etc, trying to compete with myspace seems like a waste of time.

First, you guys are taking the wrong direction towards competing with it. Mypsace is not popular due to programmers developing the site, but it's popular in large due to its marketing team. The key is MARKETING! At car shows filled with young adults, I see a myspace sign. At any event like concerts, I see a myspace sign. Myspace is feature in many computer magazines. Fox bought myspace.com It's popular through mass advertisements - not for the site itself.

If you want to compete with myspace be sure to spent a lot of money on advertisement. What's something innovate can you bring to your new social networking site? It must be new and unique feature. It has to be innovative. Something no other site provides. Even if you can do that, how will they even know about your website?

This has been done before with ratemypic.com it got popular and soon there were copy cats. What made the rest different?

I can do a site like myspace and do it pretty quickly. I can provide examples of sites I have done before including extensive coding in PHP, database backends etc. BUT...

As the others said, you're probably wasting your time. But, again, marketed correctly it would be possible (especially given some of the myspace security flaws recently). Friendster was around before Myspace... Metacrawler dominated before Google. Webcrawler before Metacrawler. So things CAN change. BUT (again!)...

This is gonna cost you. I personally wouldn't budge on a project like this until the fee offered was in the thousands. Neither would any of the other coders around here (I doubt).

Think that's bad? To take out myspace will cost you a LOT more.

Cheers,
SC

Myspace is an anomaly.. a glitch in the matrix... @_@

Try phpFoX Community Portal, Front end demo here, Admin demo here. I've never used it, or know anyone who has used it. Good luck!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.