Member Avatar for LastMitch

Hi

I been doing some research on PHP Frameworks. I want to know what other Daniweb members used as PHP Frameworks? I'm still new to understand how it works but would like to know which one will suit my skills, so I can built on ... to move forward to another PHP Frameworks.

I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Member Avatar for iamthwee

I'm starting to use codeigniter. It's quite good and gets you using OOP

I used to use Zend Framework, then started looking at something a bit lighter. I found and have tried Kohana and am presently trying out FuelPHP, which uses the new functionality available in PHP 5.3.

There's alot of framework out there.

If your starting with frameworks, i would suggest Smarty for starter, then move on to a more omcplete framework, like mentionned above CodeIgniter or Zend are great framework.

but look around, like i said, there's alot of framework out there.

and i would suggest to check if the framework you pick respect MVC structure.
(PS: Smarty is not MVC friendly, it splits your view from the rest but still a great framework to start)

my 2 cents

@iamthwee

Thanks for the reply!

codeigniter

I heard of it but I will look into it and try it and learn it, it's a difficult but I'll try. Thanks.

@blocblue

Thanks for the reply!

Zend Framework -> Kohana -> FuelPHP

You are really familiar with PHP framework!

I will try and test it out and learn how each platform works.

Thanks!

@DarkMonarch

Thanks for the reply and your 2 cents!

There's alot of framework out there.
If your starting with frameworks, i would suggest Smarty for starter, then move on to a more omcplete framework, like mentionned above CodeIgniter or Zend are great framework.
but look around, like i said, there's alot of framework out there.

The reason why I create this thread is to see what other Web developers used so if I learn and test those out and I have questions I can post (create another thread) a questions and someone who is familiar with the Framework can answer the question I have. If I used a PHP Framework that no one used than it's hard to learn the how the PHP Frameworks.

I will look into Smarty. Thanks!

I would wholesomely recommend Yii (www.yiiframework.com) - its relatively new, fast, secure and a professional framework. Basically supports MVC, Multiple DBs, ORM, DB Objects, Templates, Caching, Validation, Ajax, Auth Module, Modules and EDP. The only notable draw back (not a big one) is support for PHP4 is not present (just like Zend). Best part with Yii is that it has a code generator which makes life simple for simple tasks.

Just my two cents.

I e had a look at Yii before too and thought it looked pretty good.

The ORM is excellent. So much so I even ported it to Zend.

commented: I agree +14
Member Avatar for diafol

I started with CodeIgniter - very good for beginners - plenty of YT videos too. It's not too strict with regard to 'models' in the MVC - but this is a double-edged sword.
I then had a go at Symfony2 and almost died of a brain embolism.
Then I started using Yii - and I love it. I haven't used a framework for a while as my recent projects have been quite small.

In any case, if you're not up to much with OOP, perhaps it would be useful to brush up on general OOP basics and get to grips with the terminology. Again, nice YT videos came to the rescue here - the online and book-based examples really P'd me off as they were so inane and 'non-real-scenario'. Having said that, the whole point of frameworks is that they're supposed to fly over the majority of this complexity for you, but when you need to delve into the 'deep' code, and you probably will - you'll be glad that you spent some time on understanding OOP. My 2p.

@chetankelkar

Thanks for the reply!

I never heard of

Yii (www.yiiframework.com)>

but I will look into it.

It's seem like blocblue used it before too.

@diafol

Thanks for the reply!

In any case, if you're not up to much with OOP, perhaps it would be useful to brush up on general OOP basics and get to grips with the terminology. Again, nice YT videos came to the rescue here - the online and book-based examples really P'd me off as they were so inane and 'non-real-scenario'. Having said that, the whole point of frameworks is that they're supposed to fly over the majority of this complexity for you, but when you need to delve into the 'deep' code, and you probably will - you'll be glad that you spent some time on understanding OOP. My 2p.

I agree with you that I need to get familiar more with OOP basics but I can still mess around with php frameworks and learn a little day by day, it's gonna tough but I'll manage! Thanks!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.