Hi everyone

I made a villa website for my dad, and now that i'm learning php, it would be nice to put it to good use, i've allready tried out php on other pages for various things - forms ect. But now it would be great if i could let my dad log in and update the booking page (change which dates show to be booked and which are free.)

The reason i didn't just go and find a tutorial is that i have never worked with databases before (which i presume is required) and the tutorials dont cover the datbases very much.

Any advice is grately appreciated.

Hi everyone

I made a villa website for my dad, and now that i'm learning php, it would be nice to put it to good use, i've allready tried out php on other pages for various things - forms ect. But now it would be great if i could let my dad log in and update the booking page (change which dates show to be booked and which are free.)

The reason i didn't just go and find a tutorial is that i have never worked with databases before (which i presume is required) and the tutorials dont cover the datbases very much.

Any advice is grately appreciated.

I am a newcomer to PHP and SQL too but have just managed to setup a full e-commerce website for a friends company.
What you should do is go to the MySQL website and download a copy of MySQL for your system and download the manual. Go through the start of the tutorial section, which will tell you how to create query's, create databases, tables and how to insert/edit records in your tables. Then get a PHP manual(If u havn't got one) and start looking at the kind of scripts you might need. Then you can create your Bookings Database and link it to a form on ur website for ur dad to enter the booking information. You can then create a page that lists the bookings by using a query to retreive the results from the database. You could even add in some line to check for any double bookings etc.

I'm sure some of the guys on here would be happy to help with some pieces of code if you cannot find anything in the manuals to do what u want.

That's what I did anyway and found that it didn't take as long as I expected to get the site up and running. (One month to do the whole site and learn PHP & MySQL).

Good Luck
Huw

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.