1) Is it possible to install Ruby (the compiler) onto a flashdrive and run it on another machine without adding the registry edits? Is there like a portable copy of the compiler that I can use? I need Ruby at school, but I can't install anything.

2) I think my Ruby is dead. I try to run a really simple program and Ruby hangs whenever I use gets()... For example:

name = gets("What is your name? ")
puts name

Inputted in SciTE makes the command line for Ruby pop up, then it freezes, only to let me exit Ruby and continue working. I can use puts() and other commands fine. What is wrong:?: I NEED RUBY TO WORK!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hmm... I got both of them fixed, with a little work. I copied the whole directory for Ruby onto my flashdrive, and it works! And for the other, it was SciTE that was hanging it.

Hmm... I got both of them fixed, with a little work. I copied the whole directory for Ruby onto my flashdrive, and it works! And for the other, it was SciTE that was hanging it.

Afraid I never tried to run Scite from a flash drive. Have you tried Notepad++? When I was at uni I ran that from my flash cos the text editor installed on the Windows workstations was annoying (so bad that most people just used notepad).

I copied the whole directory for Ruby onto my flashdrive, and it works!

So flash drives don't make registry references?

I think it is SciTE's output windows that hangs the input.

The Geany IDE works very well with Ruby.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.