Hi.

I dont know where to put this post since it covers so many areas.

I have a few queries and i would appreciate it if you guys can help me out.

I am to create a web based application which will need some access to a database. The web page which functions as a user interface will have some 600 text boxes on it.

Here is what i was thinking. php on the server which interact with the mysql database. javascript in the webpage to do all the validation and calculations.

questions:
1. can one get client side php and if you can do you also need to install php on the client computer is the browser already php client side scripting enabled as it is for javascript?

2. can javascript be used to calculate vulues from text boxes in the form on the html document before the form info is send to the server?

3. can i press some button somewhere on the form which will result in php or even java processing being done on the server?

4. can i create an array of text boxes on the webpage, same as in java or vb 6, so that i can use a for loop to process the 600 text boxes and then process them with javascript?

i would really appreciate it if you guys can help me on this. thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

1. can one get client side php and if you can do you also need to install php on the client computer is the browser already php client side scripting enabled as it is for javascript?

No need for installation of PHP on client side, pages served by server to browser understandable format

2. can javascript be used to calculate vulues from text boxes in the form on the html document before the form info is send to the server?

Yes

3. can i press some button somewhere on the form which will result in php or even java processing being done on the server?

Yes, it is <input type="submit" value="Submit"> as part of the form coding

4. can i create an array of text boxes on the webpage, same as in java or vb 6, so that i can use a for loop to process the 600 text boxes and then process them with javascript?

PHP and JavaScript supports arrays

thanks for the reply but some things are still unclear.

question 1. i mean if i want to not use javascript can i instead use php as a client side scripting to solve the problem of calculations etc and if i can do that must i first install the php on the client? i know that if php sends a response the browser will understand the response. what i mean is can the browser be made to process locally with php without sending back to the server or must i use javascript for the client side. if i can can use php like this must i first install it on the client?

question 3.

here i mean if there are some processes, perhaps a class with some fuctions, that i want to execute on the server then can i place a button on the form and when i press that button can it serve as a trigger to instantiate the class and execute the class's function?

On question 1, I do not know, but I think it would be possible (you should ask the question in PHP section of the forum, I'm sorry I'm not into PHP development Java is my case)
Question 3, form action can be linked with any sort of page doesn't matter if the next page gone show just some content or if it will do some server side computing and then redirect you to next page.

thanks a lot. really appreciate your help. will ask that other question in the php forum.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.